G0509g 16x40 Drool Thread

When I was talking to Matt about a RML it had 3 spindle bearings and CSS. Has that now changed?

I agree with Doubleeboy, for that price I'd rather go with a used Mori or Webb/Wacheon. I did briefly look at the PM1640 which has more appeal to me than the Grizzly but I'm not ready to buy a new lathe so I won't bother to call for more details.

I'd also be concerned about having a lathe that size sitting on my home garage concrete floor (well around here anyway). That's also not something you can move around with simply an engine hoist.

I must say, I envy you guys buying all these new machines so frequently. Seems like some of you guys have had 2-3 lathes & mills in the time I've had my current machines. I admit, I'd like to upgrade too but none of the current 14x lathes have much appeal to me over my PM1236 so I'll wait. My current lathe is only 5 yrs old which is still new to me. I've also haven't really ran into something where I needed such a larger lathe in my home shop. Although I'd like one, I doubt I'll ever get a 16x unless I turn away from hobby machining. Just the chucks alone are heavier than I would want to handle as I swap out chucks often. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy you guys getting all the new toys so don't forget the pics!

Are you sure your G4003G has a D1-6 mount? Mine has a D1-5.

The D1-6 backplate they were talking about would be for the G0509G so he could still use the chuck he recently purchased for his G4003G.

The D1-6 backplate they were talking about would be for the G0509G so he could still use the chuck he recently purchased for his G4003G.
So he's talking about saving the chuck from the 4003 not the mount. I misread it, my bad.

So he's talking about saving the chuck from the 4003 not the mount. I misread it, my bad.

Yeah, coolidge just bought a brand new Bison 6-jaw chuck like in my avatar that was over $1K. Sucks if he would have to off load it so soon.

When I was talking to Matt about a RML it had 3 spindle bearings and CSS. Has that now changed?

I can not speak for Matt. I am not sure about the bearings in the 14" I do not know. I do know that in a lot of the import lathes 16" is the cut off for triple bearings. When he gave me a quote on VS 1440RML it was for a lightly tooled machine similarly equiped to the Kents you see on ebay. Price was better than a Kent, but not competitive at all with the Grizzly considering the tooling included, 2" more swing, shipping of half as much and it was not quoted to me as having CSS option, nor was anyone willing to get me a copy of the manual, or parts list. Grizzly on the other hand has the manual, and parts blow ups available online. No one at the other place could even tell me for sure what exact threads it cut...... that is not acceptable to me, you either know the products you sell or you don't. Like a lot of us, I have a pretty small shop, if I had room I would get that beautiful used 50" Mori languishing in SoCal. But a 50" lathe means my wife's car lives outside, and that would be a deal killer, plus 50" is 10 more than I need or want. I plan to keep my EE but definitely want a longer bed lathe, man has to build at least one rifle in his life eh? I considered for a while the PM1640HD, but in the end could not pull the trigger for something made in China for that much $.

cheers
michael

I had a deposit on a demo Kent SSM-1340BV but it fell through, nice machine. The Kent TRL-1340V looks like a smaller version of the G0670, also with variable speed. Love to have one, but way out of my league and price range. Looks like the TRL are re-badged Sunmaster ERL series http://www.sunmaster-cnc.com/lathe_erl.htm
SSM-1340BV.jpg
TRL-1340V3.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't quite been in my house for two years yet (April), and I've purchased 3 lathes and 3 mills but hey, they are just toys compared to this stuff and not that expensive (well except for the last two). These are nice to talk about, but I want to see one sitting in someone's garage! :)

Well there is a $5,500 price difference between the G0670 and G0509G. That's enough to buy a high quality motor, replace the electronics, buy a DRO, a Dorian QCTP and tool holders, and probably a rotory phase converter. ;-) Made in Taiwan does not guarantee 100% made in Taiwan. In my research I came across some supposed made in Taiwan lathe (not Grizzly) where the castings were actually made in China.

I just finished a detailed comparison of the specs on these two machines vs my G4003G...

1. The G0509G 4HP motor requires a 30 amp plug and is rated as drawing 17.45 amps full load vs the supposed more powerful G0670 5HP motor which requires only a 20 amp plug and is rated 15.7 amps at full load. Something fishy there.

2. Floor to center height arrgh the G0670 wins that one at 44.25 inches vs the G0509G at 47 inches vs the G04003G at 46.25. I was hoping for a shorter height as my G4003G is about 4 inches too tall for me. So I'll be building a work platform to stand on.

3. Number of feeds is 17 for both the 16x40's, far fewer than the G4003G's 40 feeds. But then I only use like half a dozen feeds so meh.

4. Carriage lead screw diameter is about 1.2 inches for both, vs .870 for the G4003G so beefier.

5. Carriage lead screw length is 44 inches for the G4003G vs 54 inches for the G0509G vs 61.5 inches for the G0670. I kind of expected the two 16x40's to be about the same. Best I can figure is the tailstock on the G0670 is longer requiring a longer bed to achieve the specified 40" between centers.

6. Carriage travel is only 33 inches on the G0509G a bit disappointing vs 40 inches on the G0670 so 7 inches more hmmm...

7. G0509G swing over the saddle must be a misprint, its only 9.875 that's less than the G4003G's 11+ inches and way less than the G0670's 15+ inches. I'll have to confirm.

8. Spindle length on the G0509G is 5 inches shorter than the G0670. I know shorter is better for gunsmith work but the wider G0670 is probably more stout. I did confirm the Go509G has a 3 bearing spindle, 2 tapered and 1 roller.

That's about it, no show stoppers for the G0509G though the height is annoying. Oddly the brutish G0749 with the 3 inch spindle bore, 10HP motor is only 41 inches floor to center, the lowest by far.

Back