Future projects for my drill press

Marco Bernardini

Active User
Registered
The first project is a huge chip tray: whoever used a Forstner bit knows that a 1" hole makes some cubic feet of chips.
A good chip tray will allow me to divide chips for the correct recycling bin (wood for the stove, plastic, aluminum, iron, etc.), will keep the floor cleaner (wifey happier) and this makes easier to find whatever falls on the floor (me happier).
My idea is to make something like an inverted pyramid, with separable sides just in case I need clearance.
The first material I thought of was the metal sheet used for computer cases: I can find a lot of it for free from computer repairers. Other options I evaluated are cardboard (too soft, it bends), wood (too thick), plastic (too expensive: hard to find it for free).
But to use metal I have to make a bending brake, before ;)

A second idea is the safety switch requiring the chuck key to be inserted into it to work: I've seen it somewhere in this forum and I find this a Great Idea, not too difficult to implement.

The third, and more remote (because it is useful like the flames painted on the side of a car), is the replacement the ugly - and clanky - belt guard with a more elegant one, like that of the Delta Rockwells of the late '50 (see one here: http://www.wbnoble.com/tools/tools.htm).
All that metal working is far beyond my skills, so my idea is to make a mold using some clay, which allows a great grade of detail (a friend of mine is a sculptress, so I also have a help in this) and use fiberglass, which probably will even be more robust than the original "coffee can like" box.

Of course all these project are at the bottom of a long TODO list :( but when/if I'll make them I'll keep you updated!

I know what you mean about chips, for a machine that has a small footprint it needs lot of room around it to keep other things clean, have you thought about the shell from a washing machine for your tray material, good luck sounds interesting..!

I know what you mean about chips, for a machine that has a small footprint it needs lot of room around it to keep other things clean, have you thought about the shell from a washing machine for your tray material, good luck sounds interesting..!

A washing machine?
This sounds cool… must check at Dumpster Freight!

Insted of a pyramid, how about a large cone cut from the skin of an out of service water heater?
Or a rubbermaid storage tote cut down to fit under the table.

Jake Parker

Insted of a pyramid, how about a large cone cut from the skin of an out of service water heater?
Or a rubbermaid storage tote cut down to fit under the table.

Jake Parker

Thanks, Jake, but I don't have space enough for a cone: the motor is pretty close to the wall.
I also don't have space under the table, since my drill press is mounted on the top of a pretty busy cart:

dp.jpg

dp.jpg

Back