Fusion360

HEAVYMETAL87

Registered
Registered
Am I the only person that finds this software to be about as intuitive as trying to wash a cat by hand- or is it just me?

It seems like even trying to do simple things like move an object in reference to another or copy and paste are vastly more complicated than they should be.

I am just learning it now and I tend to agree. It could be more intuitive. I am finding that I figure out how to do something and then cannot duplicate it later because it didn't make sense. Like all software it just takes experience.
RObert

It's taken me a while to get the hang of it too. Intuitive it's not! I've come to believe it's a mind set. Once you get there it becomes much easier. Still have lot's to learn though. And the built in CAD in a nice feature.

Tom S.

I'm currently taking a class for Solidworks and finding the same is true. I think it's the nature of the 3D beast.

Been using AutoCAD for nearly 30 years and don't remember having this much difficulty.

I've always found all autodesk products unintuitive from the early days of 3D studio.
I'm stuck with Calagari truespace for all my 3d modelling as I find it simple to use.
Its a shame because I really like the look of fusion but I'm finding it very to replace my habitual method of working.

I've really come to love Fusion 360. I was using 2D software, and yes there is definitely a learning curve, but now I use Fusion for all my projects. It was my first 3D program and I learned it by watching YouTube videos (there are hundreds) and playing with it. I subscribe to a couple of YouTube stations and with those get updates on the new features that come out monthly and it keeps me fresh on how to use it during periods I don't have a need to actually use it myself for a project.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to learn is stick with it, play with is as often as you can and watch the videos that are available.

Good luck,
Ted

I'm currently taking a class for Solidworks and finding the same is true. I think it's the nature of the 3D beast.

Been using AutoCAD for nearly 30 years and don't remember having this much difficulty.

There is your problem, you have to unlearn your style of thinking for AutoCAD. Once you get past that, you'll be able to learn SolidWorks. I have found many of the programs are very similar, you just have to know the menu structures.

I have to agree that the 2D and 3D apps I am familiar with are like apples and oranges... I can't really say that using (although my use was limited) AutoCAD 2D for 20+ years helped me any learning Fusion 360. Totally different thought process and way of doing things. I think 3D CAD really shines for assembly type work where you have multiple components making an assembly.

I do like AutoCAD 2D for electrical prints though. I currently use Draftsight for that and some simple 2D mechanical drawings as well. But, for the most part, I prefer Fusion.

Ted

Before Using AutoCAD, I use a product called Autosketch. When I switched to AutoCAD was difficult to figure out how to use the software. A few months and a good reference book helped out and I became reasonably proficient. The same happened when I switched to SolidWorks. Some things were just not logical and I couldn't make things work the way I wanted. I bought some books called "SolidWorks Bible" by Matt Lombard (one with each version upgrade) which helped me through.

I am still working with SolidWorks after some fourteen years and it is second nature to me now. Parts can be whipped out in a few minutes and full assemblies in a hour or so. I use it do do sketches rather than pencil and paper. I have Fusion 360 installed as well and dabble with it occasionally. It is as confusing, as the others were. I don't use it because I have SolidWorkjs and it is the easiest path for me. For me to become proficient in Fusion will require some total immersion tome, probably a couple of weeks, at least.

So why do I have Fusion at all? It is because they offer a seamless migration to the CAM programming for my CNC. AutoDesk's recent philosophy to permit free non-commercial use of the software is IMO a huge plus. I have a licensed seat of 2012 SolidWorks that cost me around $4K but a "subscription" which would give me current versions and access to technical help would cost me around $1500/ yr. With Fusion, they upgrade continuously, and every time you log in, you receive the latest update. They now have an electronic CAD package with which can create schematics and printed circuit boards and convert them to solid models that can be used to mill a circuit board.

Fusion's model renditions are also much nicer than SolidWorks, at least if you are using the standard version. Some of them rival a photographic image. I suspect that there are other features that I am unaware of as well.

I would recommend that a new user stick with it. It will be frustrating at first but eventually it will work out for you. There are hard copy reference books on Fusion 360 available on Amazon, also a Kindle book, free for 30 days. Amazon has Kindle reader apps for various platforms. John Saunders at NYC CNC has done quite a few You Tube videos on Fusion. They are not as complete as I would like to see them but they are a useful tool. I would recommend starting with simple objects at first. The tutorials tend to try to cover too much and, doing so, they often get confusing.

Back