Fusion 360 For Hobbyist

I started drafting with pencil, paper, and eraser in 1958. For thirty years, all my drafting was done in this manner. I have used a half dozen different 2D systems, including AutoCad, and Draftsight. I have been using SolidWorks for the past twelve years.

The dimension based CAD is the reason why SolidWorks is my tool of choice. When I work up a new design, it invariably needs to be tweaked to get to its final form. With AutoCad, I have to move the lines to change the dimensions and then redimension the drawing. With SolidWorks, I sketch a form. Changing the form simply requires redimensioning. IMO, to efficiently draft in 2D requires thorough planning beforehand to the extent of knowing fairly exactly what the final form will be. This is not too difficult on a simple stand-alone part but a for complicated part which must interface with numerous other parts, this can be a challenge.

Another reason why I prefer a parametric CAD package like SolidWorks is the ability to visualize a complex part. Before retiring, I worked with a molding company that was designing and producing the multi-cavity molds for a new product. He used AutoCad for his design work and interpreting the drawings was a nightmare. In order to fully understand a 2D drawing of a complex part often requires multiple auxiliary drawings.

Finally, as mentioned by others, the ability to put parts into an assembly and check for fit and overall operation is invaluable. I have worked with many projects from micro to architectural and would find it difficult to thoroughly grasp the final work without something like SolidWorks. That is why I sprung for the $4+K for my own seat of SolidWorks.

Learning a new CAD system can be difficult. I struggled when I went from AutoSketch to AutoCad and from AutoCad to SolidWorks. I am currently struggling with the transition to Fusion 360. (I am perfectly happy with SolidWorks but it doesn't have a full featured integrated CAM package.) One aid that I would suggest is picking up some good reference books. I used the AutoCad Users Guide for AutoCad and the SolidWorks Bible for SolidWorks. They do a great job of describing the theory and practice of the systems. IMO, third party authors bring a fresh view to the problems that are often not found in the CAD system users guides. I haven't seen one for Fusion yet but when it comes out, I will get it.

In picking a guide, I would suggest borrowing or otherwise getting a preview of the candidate book before purchasing as some are better than others.

I guess us old dogs can learn new tricks after all. I learned drafting in the early '60s. I still have my Dietzgen tools, the scales, and my pencils and sharpener. I coveted a professional grade board and machine of my own for the longest time. I ran into one at a thrift store a while ago. Now that I can afford it, I don't need it. It is so much easier to print small jobs and send the bigger ones up the street to the wide format printer instead of inking the drawings.

Auto desk has quite a few videos with text showing the basic operations to get started. I find the best way to learn Fusion 360 is to just try to model something. I am looking forward to trying out their CAM when I get this machine finished.

I started drafting with pencil, paper, and eraser in 1958. For thirty years, all my drafting was done in this manner. I have used a half dozen different 2D systems, including AutoCad, and Draftsight. I have been using SolidWorks for the past twelve years.

The dimension based CAD is the reason why SolidWorks is my tool of choice. When I work up a new design, it invariably needs to be tweaked to get to its final form. With AutoCad, I have to move the lines to change the dimensions and then redimension the drawing. With SolidWorks, I sketch a form. Changing the form simply requires redimensioning. IMO, to efficiently draft in 2D requires thorough planning beforehand to the extent of knowing fairly exactly what the final form will be. This is not too difficult on a simple stand-alone part but a for complicated part which must interface with numerous other parts, this can be a challenge.

Another reason why I prefer a parametric CAD package like SolidWorks is the ability to visualize a complex part. Before retiring, I worked with a molding company that was designing and producing the multi-cavity molds for a new product. He used AutoCad for his design work and interpreting the drawings was a nightmare. In order to fully understand a 2D drawing of a complex part often requires multiple auxiliary drawings.

Finally, as mentioned by others, the ability to put parts into an assembly and check for fit and overall operation is invaluable. I have worked with many projects from micro to architectural and would find it difficult to thoroughly grasp the final work without something like SolidWorks. That is why I sprung for the $4+K for my own seat of SolidWorks.

Learning a new CAD system can be difficult. I struggled when I went from AutoSketch to AutoCad and from AutoCad to SolidWorks. I am currently struggling with the transition to Fusion 360. (I am perfectly happy with SolidWorks but it doesn't have a full featured integrated CAM package.) One aid that I would suggest is picking up some good reference books. I used the AutoCad Users Guide for AutoCad and the SolidWorks Bible for SolidWorks. They do a great job of describing the theory and practice of the systems. IMO, third party authors bring a fresh view to the problems that are often not found in the CAD system users guides. I haven't seen one for Fusion yet but when it comes out, I will get it.

In picking a guide, I would suggest borrowing or otherwise getting a preview of the candidate book before purchasing as some are better than others.

I agree with all of what you are saying, the OP was "Cad for a Hobbyist", I merely think that Fusion is overkill for this application, a nice simple 2D package fits the bill, in the past Autodesk had a product called Autosketch which was a stripped down version of Autocad 9 I believe, it was as simple as pie (no pun intended) to use, would run on a consumer 386/486 machine with minimal RAM.

RJ
Was you able to speak to the Fuson 360 rep? I have the program on my computer but I can not figure out the how to. I am going to give it another try, maybe this time I can put a little more time into it. I am going to youtube and find all the Fusion videos and give them a look, who knows.
Thank in advance.
Nelson

I also struggled with Fusion 360 then I found the NYC CNC videos. They cover the basics up to more complex techniques. I'm by no means a Fusion expert but because of the video content I can now model just about any part I have the ability to machine, including 3D. It's also convenient having an integrated CAM program so I don't have to convert, copy, or transfer files.

Tom S.

I also struggled with Fusion 360 then I found the NYC CNC videos. They cover the basics up to more complex techniques. I'm by no means a Fusion expert but because of the video content I can now model just about any part I have the ability to machine, including 3D. It's also convenient having an integrated CAM program so I don't have to convert, copy, or transfer files.

Tom S.
Thanks Tom, I am a fan of NYC CNC so I'll check it out.
Again thanks
Nelson

I just went back thru and re-installed Fusion 360 and did the free for one year route.

I'm a full blown user of Draftsight professional for my day to day use and been using AutoCAD based 2D software for over 25 years. I've been thru a Solidworks training course a few years back which gave me an idea of how to use 3D software. Just can't afford to go the SW route. I'm hoping that Fusion 360 will fill that gap a give me an opportunity to learn the 3D way of doing things. Ken

Back