1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

Fusion 360 For Hobbyist

Discussion in 'DRAWING, LAYOUT & CAD' started by kvt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas
    OK, I have not even logged in, in a long time. But now have an updated system, and instead of the pencil and paper (napkin) of drawing something out, I thought I would go get and re do my setup for Fusion 360. Well now I cannot find anything but the student or pay version. Was able to reset my password for the Community forums and stuff but need to set up to do drawings again.
    Anyone know if it is still free for hobbyist or is it now pay.
    and if it is still free, where do we download the setup from.

2. RJSakowski

RJSakowski H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Barneveld
    State:
    Wisconsin
    As far as I know, it is still free and the student version is available to hobbyists and is a full version. I will be going to the Tormach open house in a week and Fusion 360 reps. will be putting on a seminar. I will definitely put it on my list of questions.

brino and rmack898 like this.
  3. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon
    As I remember you just download the pay version. I think the pay/no pay is taken care of during the registration.

gerritv22 likes this.
  4. gerritv22

gerritv22 Active User Registered Member

City:
    St Catharines
    State:
    Ontario
  5. kvt

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas
    Thanks, I am trying to instsall now.

6. Wreck™Wreck

Wreck™Wreck United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey
    As an admitted hobbyist that appears to want to make drawings of parts and print them for use at the machine do you actually need all of the functionality of a full parametric 3D solid modeling/CAM package? Do you have machines that will swallow a CAM generated post?

If a hobbyist that lacks a 2 1/2-3 axis machine then I suggest the free SolidWorks 2D Draftsight which is a far smaller download (and is also stand alone) and works extremely well for such purposes, when you reach the point where you need such software as Fusion you will no longer be a hobbyist.

7. kvt

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas
    For some reason the one time I tried solid works it did not seem to work for me. And I never go the hang of it. I figured I would try the Fusion, I signed up over a year ago and then had a computer crash, never reloaded it and tried it again. I have nothing that will use CAM, and One of the things I was looking at with the Fusion 360 was the ability to build each piece and then assemble it Or that is what I was hoping, Have to learn some for now.

8. Baithog

Baithog United States Florida Machinist Group Moderator H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Inverness
    State:
    Florida
    Kinda depends on what you want to do. Any 2D cad will make shop drawings for something you have a design for. Solid modeling really helps when you start trying to make complex assemblies that you don't want to have to remake the parts repeatedly. I haven't met many that can conceptualize in their mind and not forget to take something into account. I am working on a dovetail slide assembly and it is nice to move the saddle back and forth and see that it doesn't run into anything. As hobbyists, we can generally afford to have a few 'aw-****' moments in a project, but I do get aggravated when I ruin a special piece of metal I ordered. I find the conversion from 2D to 3D modeling challenging, but It is worth the effort for some of the things I want to make. It also helps in keeping this old fart's brain from atrophying.

rmack898, brino, 4gsr and 1 other person like this.
  9. kvt

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas
    most of my stuff is normally on napkin, sheet of typing paper, or something like that. But find I want something a little better for a few projects. Just have to figure out how to make them work, I'm still old school and have a drafting kit and T square.

10. Wreck™Wreck

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey
    I am old school as well but have been using CAD since 1992, one of the features of old CAD programs such as DreftSight is that they are dimension based, like manual drafting without the pencil. Simply give a feature a start point and an end point, radius, diameter, arc, Etc. by using text commands, I find Fusion and Solidworks far less intuitive after having done manual drawing for years.

rmack898 likes this.
  11. RJSakowski

RJSakowski H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Barneveld
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I started drafting with pencil, paper, and eraser in 1958. For thirty years, all my drafting was done in this manner. I have used a half dozen different 2D systems, including AutoCad, and Draftsight. I have been using SolidWorks for the past twelve years.

The dimension based CAD is the reason why SolidWorks is my tool of choice. When I work up a new design, it invariably needs to be tweaked to get to its final form. With AutoCad, I have to move the lines to change the dimensions and then redimension the drawing. With SolidWorks, I sketch a form. Changing the form simply requires redimensioning. IMO, to efficiently draft in 2D requires thorough planning beforehand to the extent of knowing fairly exactly what the final form will be. This is not too difficult on a simple stand-alone part but a for complicated part which must interface with numerous other parts, this can be a challenge.

Another reason why I prefer a parametric CAD package like SolidWorks is the ability to visualize a complex part. Before retiring, I worked with a molding company that was designing and producing the multi-cavity molds for a new product. He used AutoCad for his design work and interpreting the drawings was a nightmare. In order to fully understand a 2D drawing of a complex part often requires multiple auxiliary drawings.

Finally, as mentioned by others, the ability to put parts into an assembly and check for fit and overall operation is invaluable. I have worked with many projects from micro to architectural and would find it difficult to thoroughly grasp the final work without something like SolidWorks. That is why I sprung for the $4+K for my own seat of SolidWorks.

Learning a new CAD system can be difficult. I struggled when I went from AutoSketch to AutoCad and from AutoCad to SolidWorks. I am currently struggling with the transition to Fusion 360. (I am perfectly happy with SolidWorks but it doesn't have a full featured integrated CAM package.) One aid that I would suggest is picking up some good reference books. I used the AutoCad Users Guide for AutoCad and the SolidWorks Bible for SolidWorks. They do a great job of describing the theory and practice of the systems. IMO, third party authors bring a fresh view to the problems that are often not found in the CAD system users guides. I haven't seen one for Fusion yet but when it comes out, I will get it.

In picking a guide, I would suggest borrowing or otherwise getting a preview of the candidate book before purchasing as some are better than others.

brino, rmack898 and Baithog like this.
  12. Baithog

Baithog United States Florida Machinist Group Moderator H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Inverness
    State:
    Florida
    I guess us old dogs can learn new tricks after all. I learned drafting in the early '60s. I still have my Dietzgen tools, the scales, and my pencils and sharpener. I coveted a professional grade board and machine of my own for the longest time. I ran into one at a thrift store a while ago. Now that I can afford it, I don't need it. It is so much easier to print small jobs and send the bigger ones up the street to the wide format printer instead of inking the drawings.

Auto desk has quite a few videos with text showing the basic operations to get started. I find the best way to learn Fusion 360 is to just try to model something. I am looking forward to trying out their CAM when I get this machine finished.

13. Wreck™Wreck

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey
    I agree with all of what you are saying, the OP was "Cad for a Hobbyist", I merely think that Fusion is overkill for this application, a nice simple 2D package fits the bill, in the past Autodesk had a product called Autosketch which was a stripped down version of Autocad 9 I believe, it was as simple as pie (no pun intended) to use, would run on a consumer 386/486 machine with minimal RAM.

terrywerm likes this.
  14. Shepherd

Shepherd Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Burlington
    State:
    Ontario
    Sketch up is a good alternative too.

brino likes this.
  15. NEL957

NEL957 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Hawthorne
    State:
    Florida
    RJ
    Was you able to speak to the Fuson 360 rep? I have the program on my computer but I can not figure out the how to. I am going to give it another try, maybe this time I can put a little more time into it. I am going to youtube and find all the Fusion videos and give them a look, who knows.
    Thank in advance.
    Nelson

rmack898 likes this.
  16. TomS

TomS Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California
    I also struggled with Fusion 360 then I found the NYC CNC videos. They cover the basics up to more complex techniques. I'm by no means a Fusion expert but because of the video content I can now model just about any part I have the ability to machine, including 3D. It's also convenient having an integrated CAM program so I don't have to convert, copy, or transfer files.

Tom S.

17. Groundhog

Groundhog United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Salina
    State:
    Kansas
    rmack898 likes this.
  18. NEL957

City:
    Hawthorne
    State:
    Florida
    Thanks Tom, I am a fan of NYC CNC so I'll check it out.
    Again thanks
    Nelson

TomS likes this.
  19. NEL957

City:
    Hawthorne
    State:
    Florida
    Lars
    Thanks for the lead. I learned a lot about clock repair with the videos and figured I would try the same with the drawing programs. Thanks and I'll be looking
    Nelson

20. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas
    I just went back thru and re-installed Fusion 360 and did the free for one year route.

I'm a full blown user of Draftsight professional for my day to day use and been using AutoCAD based 2D software for over 25 years. I've been thru a Solidworks training course a few years back which gave me an idea of how to use 3D software. Just can't afford to go the SW route. I'm hoping that Fusion 360 will fill that gap a give me an opportunity to learn the 3D way of doing things. Ken

21. sanddan

sanddan Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Damascus
    State:
    Oregon
    Ken, you might also look at Onshape cad. It runs on your browser, chrome or firefox, so no software download. With the free version your files are out on the web so if you need to keep them private this won't work for you.

22. terrywerm

terrywerm New Member Liaison Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota
    I am still running AutoSketch 9 here and it does the job very nicely. It's great for anything I need to do. Autosketch 10 was the final version, and it is no longer available from Autodesk, although it is available from some aftermarket vendors yet for $80. It does not do full blown 3D, but it is capable of drawing some 3D objects as 3D extrusions.

23. 4gsr

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas
    Does anyone know of a utility software that will convert AutoSketch 9 files to a DWG or DXF drawing file? I have about 300 files I would like to convert over someday. Ken

24. Groundhog

Groundhog United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Salina
    State:
    Kansas
    4gsr likes this.
  25. 4gsr

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas
    XnView will not create a true vector file. But that's ok, it will do a pdf file, that's even better! fixing to give it a try!

Thanks, Ken

26. 4gsr

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas
    Well, I tried it. It will not open skf file I have. Would not even recognize the file ending. It may have something to do with the version the file is in. If I get some time in the future, I'll mess with it. For now I have to move on to bigger and better things. Thanks all for your help. Ken