Fusion 360 Dwg

Sorry Groundhog, when you posted "... I want to be able to make 2D parametric drawings and save them in a format that I can open in VisualMIll 2012" I thought Fusion was creating a parametric/linked drawing file. My misunderstanding.
Doing some digging it looks like the .dwg files created by Fusion won't be easily converted to the basic drawing format. From a post in the Autodesk forums: "The 2D drawings created in Fusion 360 contain drawing view objects, similar to those created by the Model Documentation feature in AutoCAD. These do not support copy/paste or CHSPACE."
Those "view objects" are the linework of the drawing which only show up in Paperspace as a kind of Block, and you'd need them in Modelspace as lines, arcs, circles, etc.. It appears you would need a copy of AutoCAD to convert the view objects into linework usable in your CNC software.

Cadapult,
Not what I wanted to hear, but confirms what I was finding - it won't work! Thanks for digging and putting my suspicions to rest.

Will Draftsight open those .dwgs? I'm pretty sure Autodesk has purposely crippled the software so it doesn't directly compete with Inventor. I don't see any way to make it work within the autodesk universe either.

Don't know about Draftsight.

I've given up on trying to use Fusion files with anything else (cad or cam programs). I guess I either need to do the entire project with Fusion (Fusion CAD - Fusion CAM - Mach3) or use my old system (TurboCad - VisualMill - Mach3).

I've spent a lot of time learning Fusion 360 lately. I mostly enjoy drawing with it. I'm having a few problems with the CAM portion though. So far I'm not sure the problems are me or the program. I haven't done much with actually trying the resulting g-code on my mill either. I figure that is the next step after I'm happy with the simulations.

I've watched some of the NYCNC vids and got some ideas there. I also stumbled onto another set of Autodesk's instructional videos that I hadn't seen before. One of the minor problems is setting up and milling using a corner rounding tool. I think I can figure it out, but right now I am having trouble. Another problem is milling fillets and/or chamfers when you have the fillet or chamfer drawn in the 3D drawing. I am not able to select what was once the corner as a profile so I have to go back and delete the fillet or chamfer in the drawing. Then the drawing of the part does not mesh right with other parts.

I'm taking a break from this project because I just got a nice used 12x36 lathe. I need to get it cleaned up, make a stand and rearrange my shop to make room for it. Then (I'm sure) a few days playing with it before I get back to what I was doing.

Back