Further Down the Rabbit Hole, or Plasma Cutters, MIGs, and Chop Saws oh my!

As the title says, now that I've dipped my toe into the metal working pool by buying a Logan 816, I'm thinking of all the cool things I want to make (like an angle iron base for the lathe bench that I can put retractable caster/feet), and I'm thinking I "need" a MIG welder, and of course some way to cut up the stock to weld, so I "need" a chop saw. Then I discovered how cool plasma cutters are.

You get the idea.

I'm a newb who hasn't yet spent much money on metalworking tools, so I understand exactly what you're talking about.

I've got an under-used 12" Dewalt compound miter saw for wood. The research I've seen says don't try to use wood miter saws as metal chop saws, but...what's the worst (ok, worst most probable) thing that could happen if I pop a composition blade onto the Dewalt to get me by until I decide if I really like the welding fabrication stuff?

The worst that could happen with a toothed blade is that a tooth could come off and impale you. The worst with a comp blade is that you start fires in the shop from the massive amount of sparks they create, breathe in the nasty compounds of the blade and get emphysema and die. Another (much better) choice is a cold saw, and those are pricy. HFT (Harbor Fright) has a faster metal-only circular saw which runs at a much higher speed but is said to work pretty well. Dewally also builds them, so look at those.

Are plasma cutters really the bomb-diggety, especially if I'm running a 4.2 CFM @ 90 psi compressor?

A friend has a plasma cutter and they're really neat. Since he's only half an hour away, I can't condone the expense (now retired with lower income) of a cutter, so I use his when my hacksaw or HFT metal bandsaw won't do the proper trick. Find a friend with a plasma setup and feed him consumables for the use of his cutter.

Also, what are folks' experience with welders? I definitely want a MIG, as it seems really pretty approachable. Miller (and probably others) make multi-purpose welders that will do MIG, stick, and TIG for not a whole lot of money, but my gut feeling is that they do none of the above particularly well. https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....Kdoo2Elhv0MeB65DrS-ZB1BPbujcI7tXSgaArKS8P8HAQ

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I'm absolutely sold on TIG, myself. Just last week, I found myself eyeing an AC/DC inverter TIG/SMAW unit for $500. It would replace my HFT DC-only TIG/SMAW, which I could sell and recoup some of the cost.

I looked at the $6-800 do-it-all TIG/SMAW/Plasma cutter units and feel similar JOAT/MON probabilities. But that Miller (at Miller prices!) might not be bad. Why are you so sold on MIG? It's soooo easy to make a good looking bad weld with them that I've always felt ambiguous about them. I wrenched for a body and frame shop so I saw high-end MIG weldors at work, so I know it can be good, but I tried the nice Miller and Lincoln MIGs and found out how easily the bead can fool you if you don't keep a close eye on your penetration. Another friend had the spare tire from his trailer pass him on the freeway once. OOPS!

So, there's the view from the bottom. ;)

I think MIG is most peoples go to machine because it's easy to learn on, is fast if your doing a large project, or production work, gives a nice looking weld if your using gas, with very little clean up, and if done properly has plenty of penetration. TIG makes for an excellent weld on many different materials, but requires a much higher degree of skill, high initial and consumables cost, and just isn't really required for most hobbyist needs. Can't say I've ever had a MIG weld fail, and I've been doing for more years than I care to think about. Having said all that, I have a nice TIG set up, and I'm looking forward to getting good at it for the jobs that require it. Mike

Well, I guess I'm officially a welder! A neighbor snapped off a bolt that held the windshield on his golf cart. He brought over the cart, and a little kiss from the angle grinder, a couple tacks, and he was on his way. I even got "paid"--half case of Bud--didn't have the heart to tell him I gave up beer, and it did taste mighty good!:beer bottles:

Oh, and I got the bandsaw running.

I thought about MIG, but for $100 bucks settled on a nice Lincoln tombstone AC/DC stick welder. DC Negative and 6011 rod works perfect on junk yard steel - which it seems, most of us are conisouerers of....

So saved $900 or more NOT buying the quickee bead making machine, and fab up to my hearts content what ever comes my way. OK, it takes a couple of boxes of rod to brush up on technique, but the more proficient I get, the better the bead and the less the spallter and clean up. And with stick, pretty much - learn the correct amperage for good penetration, develop decent technique (which you have to do anyway with any welding process) and your welds will be golden.

Here's my stick welded 12" ga, 11' LOA, miniature railroad turntable structure, almost ready for installation.

IMG_2974.JPG

I thought about MIG, but for $100 bucks settled on a nice Lincoln tombstone AC/DC stick welder. DC Negative and 6011 rod works perfect on junk yard steel - which it seems, most of us are conisouerers of....

So saved $900 or more NOT buying the quickee bead making machine, and fab up to my hearts content what ever comes my way. OK, it takes a couple of boxes of rod to brush up on technique, but the more proficient I get, the better the bead and the less the spallter and clean up. And with stick, pretty much - learn the correct amperage for good penetration, develop decent technique (which you have to do anyway with any welding process) and your welds will be golden.

Here's my stick welded 12" ga, 11' LOA, miniature railroad turntable structure, almost ready for installation.

View attachment 231037
I watched my dad do some stick welding, mostly on farm equipment, but I never tried it. I got pretty good at brazing with an oxy-acetylene set up. This MIG is by far easier than gas to learn, although I still have a ways to go to get my technique down.

$100 for a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone is an incredible price. They are excellent machines. In various conditions, they go used for $400-$500 here. We joke about most of our metal being "unknown-ium". Even the guy at the metal supply got a chuckle out of it.

Wow, I would love to see your railroad! Please post photos in a new thread in the projects forum!

GG

I watched my dad do some stick welding, mostly on farm equipment, but I never tried it. I got pretty good at brazing with an oxy-acetylene set up. This MIG is by far easier than gas to learn, although I still have a ways to go to get my technique down.

I learned stick on oxy acetylene. Community College welding class taught it this way. Pretty much the same technique - it's all about controlling the heat and the puddle. For the occasional welding project, I am happy with stick. Lots of smoke though, at times. So I usually turn of an exhaust fan and keep the doors open.

Glenn

Back