Further adentures with a Taiwanese 80s drill press.

SouthernChap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So following on from this thread: Post in thread 'What Did You Buy Today?' https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.55645/post-1120587 having got the spindle out, it seems the upper and lower spindle bearings are fine.

The rock and roll appears to be on the two spindle pulley bearings. The other problem I think is that the spindle sleeve seemed to be a bit loose and lack support.

There seems to be a poorly implemented quill lock (not sure, other than locking for transport, what use that would be in a drill press; it's not a milling machine). It's a 0.30" grub screw that is threaded into the side of the head and engages with what I initial thought was a keyway in the spindle sleeve, but is actually there for the grub screw to ride in.

So I was thinking I could knock up a small brass gib to run in that 'keyway', held in place by a couple of extra screws and two little steel 'fences', with the existing grub screw to push the gib against the bottom of they keyway (which is quite nicely machined), it should provide a bit of extra support for the spindle sleeve.

I'll post a few pics in a bit when I'm back in the workshop. ;)

I have one of those too, late 70s, and the quill is very sloppy in the head- they bored the headstock too big at the factory
It's a bit generous to call it a factory- more like a big cave with large hairy creatures grunting and throwing things around
How is the table on yours? Does it drop when you loosen the clamp? Mine does that- tilts badly

Last edited:
I have one of those too, late 70s, and the quill is very sloppy in the head- they bored the headstock too big at the factory
It's a bit generous to call it a factory- more like a big room with large hairy creatures grunting and throwing things around
How is the table on yours? Does it drop when you loosen the clamp? Mine does that- tilts badly
Ah, yes, that would make sense, might have a look at shimming the upper bearing housing; getting a feeler gauge in there to measure is going to be fun, mind.

The table's fine. There's not much backlash in the rack and pinion and it seems to hold the table fairly securely even with the clamp loosened.

I've grown kind of fond of the contraption over the years in spite of its faults-
It does drill holes so it earns its keep LOL and the motor has never failed
If I want precise holes I use the mill

Last edited:
I've grown kind of fond of the contraption over the years in spite of its faults-
It does drill holes so it earns its keep LOL
If I want precise holes I use the mill
Well, I got it relatively cheaply and shim, a couple of new bearings and my spare time (given I enjoy this stuff) is inexpensive.

It'll be better than the 90's Record drill press I currently have (although that was free) since this Taiwanese thing has much more vertical capacity, a larger table, a rack and pinion for the table, another inch or so of diameter on the column, and an RPM floor that's about 400 less.

I've got a cheap cross vice, and a nice tidy Rohm 1-16mm keyless chuck (got that quite cheap from a 'tat' seller on eBay) that I'll stick on it, and we'll see how I go.

Thanks again for the heads up about oversized bearing housing in the head, you probably saved me an hour or so of chasing my tail there. :)

Back