Fun With The Hf T45861 9x20 Lathe

NodakGary

Active User
Registered
About 2 weeks ago my lathe clutch locked up. Made that terrible noise and everything stopped moving. The clutch would not turn. I took the clutch off and clamped it in a vise with a piece of leather to protect the unit. The little pulley would not turn until I worked it with a strap wrench and some white lithium spray. Finally got it off and there was some brassy looking stuff on the mounting bolt-axle. I polished it up in the drill press using emery cloth. I thought the oil was full as it would take no more, but, the oil passage was plugged. I used compressed air to blow the plug out of the passage. I don't know how long the passage was blocked.
So I began looking at the other oiling points with suspicion. I also took the carriage/apron off the lathe to look at the gears there. They were oily. When I put it back together, I could not get the half-nut to engage the lead screw. It would not close enough. I discovered there is an interlocking link from the half-nut to the feed lever which does not let the two of them be used together. One or the other, but, not both can be activated at the same time. Lesson learned.

Back