Fuel Tank for 1914 Outboard Motor

outboardguy44

Registered
Registered
I didn't see posts about anybody else working on old motors, so I put this one here. If its in the wrong spot, I apologize, and please move or delete if necessary.

This is a look at one of my old motor projects. The subject motor is a 1914 Hiawatha Rowboat Motor, which is actually a relabeled "Spinaway" (built by the Spinaway Motor Co) and sold by Montgomery Ward under the "Hiawatha" name.

To give you some idea of the rarity of this motor, Spinaway built these motors from around 1913 to 1917, during which time they were sold under no less than four different names. Some were sold as Spinaways, others were labeled as a "Wilcox-McKim" or "Northwestern". Monkey Ward's version was the Hiawatha. Of the four brand names, my 1914 Hiawatha is the only example of that brand and model year known to exist.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19995792

The link goes to my Picturetrail page, I thought it would be easier to link to the photo album rather than using up a lot of your space with motor pixels. Since Picturetrail is not free (I pay a modest annual fee for photo storage) there are no advertisements on their pages like on Photobucket or other free photo hosting pages.

Best,
Chris S

Thanks for the post Chris.

Nice to see some sheet metal work for a change of pace.

Walt

That's beautiful work and a neat old outboard. I have a very old Evinrude, maybe late 20's or early 30's, that I have to make a lower cowling for. It runs, and might make 2hp. I love the old outboards.

Tom

Chris,
Your showing a lot of love and talent on that motor. Real nice job.
Please let us know when you get it running.
**************Gator******************

That is a cool motor and a very nice tank. Make sure you don't drop it off the boat. LOL I would definitely go diving after that one.

Jeff

I have a very old Evinrude, maybe late 20's or early 30's, that I have to make a lower cowling for. It runs, and might make 2hp. I love the old outboards.

Tom

Tom if you can provide the model number, I can pin down the year of manufacture for you. I have a model/year guide for Evinrude that covers from 1909 up to the early 60's.

If its a 20's motor, it won't have lower cowls.

Thanks for the kind words about the work and the motor. I did have the Hiawatha running, here's a short demo I did prior to finishing the replacement gas tank. Later on I did use it to push a boat around on a couple of occasions.

[video=youtube;8YnHu4Ra4VI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YnHu4Ra4VI[/video]

Best,
Chris S

Last edited:
super, but I think its going to scare the fish away

Nice work Chris,
Old outboard motors are something I have always wanted to collect - but one can't do everything!
Is it heavy for its size or does it just look that way?
Thanks,
Michael

Back