Fresno - Craigslist Lathe Scam

If anyone gets this lathe, I have recently had a 14" Mulliner apart to the last screw, and would be glad to talk anyone through rebuilding this machine. The Mulliner is an excellent design, and very,very stout.
-James Huston

James,

If I remember correctly the Enlund has a tapered bronze headstock bearing?? What do you do if this tapered bearing is worn?? Turn one , one off casting, ??? Seems like a hard piece to replace... curious about what you have discovered with yours. Iam still trying to talk to the owner, but he doesn't respond...

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn, my taper bearing was in decent shape ( bless every operator that checked to see if there was oil in the headstock!) and I was able to remove any endplay by adjusting the bronze takeup nuts. I think reproducing one is beyond my skills at present, but could be done by an experienced machinist. My impression of the Mulliner is that it is a solid, fairly conventional design with no serious faults, and has all the abilities of a much more recent machine. I lost some threading sizes in comparison to my Sheldon 10", but gained capacity and a whole lot of mass. FYI, the Mulliner can be readily adapted to a South Bend overhead drive, if the original countershaft isn't with it, but I'll bet it is considering the steady rest survived,too.
If you pursue the 12" I'll put whatever information I have at your disposal; lathes UK has an excellent article on them, as well.
-James Huston

Thanks James, if it ends up coming my way I'll let you know. Actually your earlier post about your lathe convinced me to look at this one. but I am pessimistic about the current owner getting back to me. Iam up to either 6 or 7 attempts to contact, with no reply and no published phone number or email to call. So doesn't look promising. Sometimes the item sells and the owner doesn't take down the ad, just ignores replies. Price we pay for Craigslist I suppose...

Glenn

Well look on the bright side, if you do manage to contact him chances are he has had no other contacts and hence no other offers and may be open to a better price

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

He has deleted the ad. Maybe someone finally broke through his firewall. Smoke signals maybe?

Tom

The post appears to have been removed; any luck, Glenn?
-James Huston

Back