Free Criterion Dbl-203 Parts

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
I recently bid on a lot of tools on ebay that included a Criterion boring head. Naturally, the picture showed the back end of the head and I couldn't see the condition of the head very well. Since I really was actually interested in the other items in the lot I figured if I won it that a good head would be a bonus.

It turned out to be a DBL-203 with a broken off gib and the gib screw holes were egged out and destroyed. The PO used socket head cap screws to mash the broken gib into the movable head part. The rest of the head actually looked pretty good after I got all the dead grease and chips out of it but it is sadly not salvageable.

The only good thing is that the silver head part (the part that holds the boring bars) and the lead screw are in very good shape and if a member of this forum has a need for these parts then I will send them to you free, with free shipping.

I'd be game for that Mike, thanks! Let me check the dimensions to see if that's too big for my uses..

EDIT: nuts, that's too big unfortunately :( thanks for the offer though!

I recently bid on a lot of tools on ebay that included a Criterion boring head. Naturally, the picture showed the back end of the head and I couldn't see the condition of the head very well. Since I really was actually interested in the other items in the lot I figured if I won it that a good head would be a bonus.

It turned out to be a DBL-203 with a broken off gib and the gib screw holes were egged out and destroyed. The PO used socket head cap screws to mash the broken gib into the movable head part. The rest of the head actually looked pretty good after I got all the dead grease and chips out of it but it is sadly not salvageable.

The only good thing is that the silver head part (the part that holds the boring bars) and the lead screw are in very good shape and if a member of this forum has a need for these parts then I will send them to you free, with free shipping.
I'll take it if no one needs it for parts. I can't use it as-is but I think I could make something out of it.

nuts, that's too big unfortunately :( thanks for the offer though!

Yup, its a big sucker ... well, big to me anyway!

I'm going to give this offer 24 hours to see if someone has a broken head. If not, then I will choose someone.

I've bought two over the years second hand that had broken gibs in them. The last one I though was a new boring head turned out to be a piece of junk! Another one with a broken gib. They can be fixed, which I intend to do with my last one some day. I have a Asian one that I did a tune up to that works pretty good and using it for now.
I just want a nice Criterion boring head in my collection that is usable! :bawling:

Mikey,

I'll offer to rebuild your 203 head if you can use it later in life. It may take me a couple of months to get it done. At least I can rebuild two at the same time in the process.

Ken

Mikey,

I'll offer to rebuild your 203 head if you can use it later in life. It may take me a couple of months to get it done. At least I can rebuild two at the same time in the process.

Ken

4gsr,
If the used DBL203 I picked up just this week turns out to need only a cleaning, a rebuild and offering up here is what I was planning to do. However, as I've not yet accomplished either tearing mine down, or a rebuild I didn't want to make the offer to rebuild and donate back to Mikey or HM.

Daryl
MN

Back