Fox II Kart Rebuild

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Bought a very used kart to rebuild for my grandkids. Grampa likes to spoil them. Didn't pay much because I figured all the rotating parts were junk - and I was right. So, new engine (7HP electric start), chain, clutch, sprocket, tires, bearings at all four wheels, seats, seatbelts, lights, and even an LED strobe for maximum visibility. Machining comes into play with the engine's intake and exhaust, a new throttle arm, and choke linkage. This kart will sport a new carbon fiber control panel at the steering support tube, carbon fiber side panels and a carbon fiber floor cover. Got the frame stripped and painted today. I think they'll like it.

Tom
Kart July '14.jpgKart frame.jpg

Kart July '14.jpg Kart frame.jpg

That's really nice, I hope your grandkids get many hour of enjoyment from the kart, and Grampa gets many hour of enjoyment watching them having fun:))

Kart 10-20-14.jpgFinished the kart yesterday. I guess it's sort of a "limo" version of a yard kart. My son (grandkids dad) took it for a spin. I think he wished he had more time to burn donuts, but he got in a few good ones, lol. The thing that surprised me about the build is that everything works as planned. New 7hp electric start engine, machined spacers in the drive and under the engine, an LED lightbar, built carbon fiber seat pans, new upholstery, new 4 point harnesses, new tires, converted from a cheesy band brake to hydraulic disk, built a stinger exhaust with some 4130 tube and a jumbo rattle can, machined a new intake adapter for a high flow air filter, put the electrics on a carbon fiber dash panel, new tires, and painted or polished a LOT of parts. It was a lot of work, but pretty satisfying. Now to train the 5 year old grand daughter how to drive it - so she can teach her triplet siblings in about 5 years. Oh yeah, also built a 1/8 mile dirt oval for the kart. It drifts nicely though the turns, but top speed is only 25mph, exactly what I had hoped.

Kart 10-20-14.jpg

Those are going to be awesome when finished and the grand daughter need to learn so she can school the boy when her time comes too. Imagine her just smoking the boys lap after lap. Bet it would not take long for her to lap them and keep rolling. Anyway two really great projects that look like the have a lot of love and attention to detail built right in. Thanks for the great pics!!!!

Bob

Those are going to be awesome when finished and the grand daughter need to learn so she can school the boy when her time comes too. Imagine her just smoking the boys lap after lap. Bet it would not take long for her to lap them and keep rolling. Anyway two really great projects that look like the have a lot of love and attention to detail built right in. Thanks for the great pics!!!!

Bob

Bob, I guess I wasn't very clear: The dirty red kart and the newly rebuilt kart are one in the same. It's just "Before" and After". But you are right, I will have to locate another 2 seat kart and rebuild it too, so all 4 grandkids can race at the same time.

Tom

:panic::panic::panic::panic:

Couple detail pics:

Kart rear 10-20-14.jpgKart Lights.jpg

Kart rear 10-20-14.jpg Kart Lights.jpg

Karting Matt & Kirra.jpgKirra Karting.jpgGranddaughter got her first ever kart ride. She was a bit apprehensive for the first lap or two, then she got into it. Big grins. First pic is her and her dad tearing up the dirt oval, second pic is her with her grampa. Great fun, and very rewarding to see her enjoy something created just for her! Her little brothers and sister will be ready to learn in about 5-6 years, so I have a little time to find a second 2 seater to rebuild.

Tom

Kirra Karting.jpg Karting Matt & Kirra.jpg

The little kids are going to love it, just like the big ''kids''

Back