FOUR JAW CHUCK do you like it or hate it?

How often is your 4 jaw used?

• Alway use a 4 jaw never use a 3 jaw

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Use a 4 jaw most of time

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Use a 3 jaw and some times use 4 jaw

Votes: 89 48.6%
  • Use a 4 jaw only if I have to use one

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Only use a 3 jaw, 4 jaw makes me mad & chuck key goes flying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: FOUR JAW CHUCK do like it or hate it 4

Don't hate it, but it spends most of its life in a drawer. I have a 3-jaw set-tru that I use for 99.9% of my work.

Please explain the soapstone method.

Daryl
MN

I'm not certain, but I bet it's used like we used to true our bicycle rims as kids. Hold chalk near the rotating work, moving ever so slightly closer until it barely touches, leaving a mark on the high spot. You would then adjust your chuck jaw opposite the mark (away) from the high spot, then tighten the jaw nearest the mark (pushing the workpiece toward center). Rub off the mark, do it again, repeating the process until it rubs all the way around, evenly. Anyone confirm my theory?

My 4 jaw chucks are not used as much as they should be i suppose, usually for me...

down and dirty i go 3 jaw,
for when it counts or for odd work, 4 jaw.
if it really, really counts, between centers.
(i would like a 5C spindle chuck or at least a 5C spindle adapter)
(Iv'e been a good boy Santa!!!:jester:)

This..... X2

I only have a 4 jaw I can use right now as the original 3 jaw was beat up and has terrible run out, and the new 3 jaw I bought needs a back plate made before I can use it. Doesn't take long to dial in the work and it would be quicker if I had somewhere better to mount the DI or if the headstock didn't move so much :)

However, as soon as the 3 jaw is ready I can see myself using that a whole lot more!

See the recent post on centering work in the 4 jaw chuck. I made a dial indicator holder for my poor man's qctp. That is easy, fast, and always on center. You can use a piece of aluminum in a qctp holder to hold the dial indicator. One you use it a few times, you'll wonder why you never made one before.

Also, use two chuck keys at once on opposite sides. It's amazing how much faster it goes.

Almost always a 4 jaw
What does FLYS mean on the poll?

Cheers Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

I use my 3-jaw for most operations because I work with round and hex stock a lot. If the part is odd shaped, square or close tolerance, I use the 4-jaw. I can dial it in very quickly with just a couple of adjustments using the "dial indicator/dead center" method.

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

I use my 6 jaw most of the time. It's a Set-Tru so it has very low run out & the 6 jaws makes repeatability much easier on shorter parts also. I use my 4 jaw only when I need too, mainly for bigger work pieces & when I need the larger through hole. It does get used more than occassionaly.

Almost always a 4 jaw

Cheers Phil

I didn't edit your post Phil, I added this to it by accident. I think it means it gets thrown if you don't get the part dialed in quickly. I imagine a few choice words follow also............

"Billy G"

Just a type-o I can not fix
I have work in shops where the only had 4 jaw chuck, not even collets insight.
I have also seen in other shops where ever lathe had a 3 jaw and 4 jaw was cake with 1/2" of dust and chips. Take a hour or two of cleaning just to use the 4 jaw.

My favorite almost ever shop had stories of the machinist trying to use four jaw only have
the chuck key fly. hide.gif

When first start use 4 jaw 40 years ago, my father and my self try reading ever book
that had. I took less than day for two of us to get first part running. redface2.gif

Yesterday it took less than minute to have the shaft chuck and running.grin.gif

Dave
Almost always a 4 jaw

Cheers Phil

hide.gif

hide.gif

redface2.gif

redface2.gif

grin.gif

grin.gif

hide.gif

redface2.gif

grin.gif

Just a type-o I can not fix...

My favorite almost ever shop had stories of the machinist trying to use four jaw only have
the chuck key fly.

What was it supposed to say? I can edit it for you.

How would the chuck key fly? You mean out of frustration & the operator made the key fly? :rofl:

Back