Found on Little Machine Shop

I wish this was around back in the day , it even figures out the stack for you . What ? I'm the only one that didn't know ? Figures .

Thank you for posting that very helpful link. I have been using Google to find the inverse sine, but my trigonometric abilities are very weak! If the value is returned in radians, I can’t understand it.

Last edited:
I do not recall in my high school trig days any meaningful example applications. It would have been mind blowing to have an example with a tooling ball, or a bolt circle problem. It was always something like Joe has to reach a 12' high roof he can put a ladder 4' from the wall. How long must his ladder be? In the real world Joe gets the biggest f'n ladder he has.

Same applies to a lot of algebra and calculus problems. I recall a fence building time with my neighbor, where we had, say, 93" in which to distribute some amount of fence boards of so much width. He started to lay out the whole thing, but in a few seconds I could tell him space everything 2.36457 inches apart, or some such number. :D

I think the way we teach math just kills enthusiasm for most students. I have thought of volunteering to coach in calculus at the local junior college, but this is just big talk on my part. So I'm going out to the shop now.

Back