Found an Index 645

A little cleanup is all that’s in the plans for the near future. The battleship’s guns have to be finished soon. While I’m just a volunteer, the project is relying on all the help that’s available. I would like nothing better than a full disassembly, cleanup and showroom new paint, having a functional machine is more important for now. This machine has enough Y axis movement that I can now complete some pieces in one setup that took four setups on the round column mill. That’s going to save lots of time.

Yes, VFD's have many control inputs that you can wire to your original switches. It's possible to replicate all the original controls with programming the VFD and wiring the switches in, not really even that hard.

John
Are there any buzz words/features to watch for or specific brands to consider or is this pretty much generic capability?

Are there any buzz words/features to watch for or specific brands to consider or is this pretty much generic capability?
Read what Mark Jacobs @mksj posts here. I think the 645 is a pretty simple machine, just fwd/rev and maybe a power feed on the x axis?
If you have an original controls cabinet with contactors and the like you can pretty much remove that stuff and place the VFD there. I've used nice ones (TECO) and generic Chinese ones and both work for me but YMMV.

John

I went with the TECO L510 for mine. Several recommendations made when I was looking for one. This one was in stock and found several videos that made it easier to configure...

More fun stuff. I cracked the ram screws loose and after one good tug the ram broke loose and moved both directions easily even though it was bone dry. Put some way oil in the one shot pump and it works. Unfortunately there’s a leak inside the knee but I did see oil seep out of the X axis way. The manual down feed wasn’t engaging so I disassembled that area. The spindle direction reversing shaft was stuck with rock hard grease. The knob for direction selection is missing so I’ll make a brass one for a little bling. It’s moving now but not clicking into all three positions yet. The manual hand wheel feed is now working though. The automatic downfeed disconnect is missing so I’ll have to buy or make one if I decide that’s an important function. The directions aren’t very good for showing/explaining the minutiae. I’ll probably be posting plenty of questions as work proceeds. After running Bridgeport and its clones and my Jet-16 for 15 years I suddenly feel like I have no idea how to run a mill. I’m not in a rush to apply power. I want all of the manual control detents to work like new first. That doesn’t seem like much of a stretch at this point.

TECO’s are good. My son has one, that I have used. Works good! Me, I have gone cheap with the Vevor, which work for me.

Thanks for the advise on VFDs. The TECOs were more than I wanted to spend so I went with Automation Direct. They were very helpful. The model I ordered for the main motor is the GS21-21P0 which the technical advisor assured me was adequate based on the motor's data plate amp draw of only 3.71A. I also ordered a braking resistor and an extension cable for the control panel as the VFDs will be mounted in the location originally occupied by the contactor box which was removed long ago. I'll eventually get another VFD for the table drive. The VFD was $168.00 before adding the resistor and cable; about $225 total with free 2 day shipping.

Since most of the instructions and videos show momentary contact switches for the controls I asked if I could use the machine's original drum switches both for the original appearance and the feel/intuitive operation. Yes, they said it's acceptable to use constant contact switches.

Back