Fosdick 4bm

That's quite a piece of equipment. The early version of an automatic tool changer. :grin:

It is a gear driven, with six speeds.
$(KGrHqR,!loE-3vNNoIRBP61mgMZD!~~60_57.JPG photo 5 (2).jpg

Speeds are selected by moving the lever to the side, or up and down.
0530151259-00.jpg

This is the lower section of the gear box, it has two speeds for the upper and lower range of speeds.

0530151259-01.jpg

This is the upper section, it has three speeds.

0530151259-02.jpg

Here is a better pic of the assembly (The pic is from the back, the right side is up, and left is down). The motor input is where the pipe is coming out the left hand side of the pic. The box area under the strap, is the oil pan, and pump. On the right, you can see the shift shaft. It is connected to the lever on the front. Rotation makes the rearward shift arm to go up and down, it controls the 3 speed box. Just forward of it, you can see the other shifter, it is controlled by the rid going forward and back (In and out), it controls the two speed section.

0530151309-01.jpg
Here you can see the shift control rod. Yes, it has 4 belts to drive the spindle. The strange part is that there is no way to adjust the belts. You also have to dissemble a good portion of the top to change them.

photo 4 (2).jpg

Here you can see the spindle travel, The spindle has like 6 inches of movement, and the whole assembly will move up and down about 9 inches.
0530151550-01.jpg photo 1 (2).jpg

The 1 HP, 3 phase motors mount on the back of the heads. The table will easily hold an engine block, and travels 15 inches.

0605151806-00.jpg

I do not have a current pic. Here is just about it final resting place. The chain is hooked to a come - a - long, working on dragging it in place. I currently have the two outer heads mounted, with the drill box sitting in the center. I'm planning on mounting the other two, since I have them, I might as well use them. I have found it nice to have the two heads, and my current drill press, a lot less changing tools. Right now I have the deburing tool mounted in my other drill press.

0529151839-01.jpg

One head has a power feed. The dial facing the front, controls the speed of the shaft going into the feed mechanism. I have had it apart, looking for anything missing, worn, or broke. I thought it was toast, until another fosdick owner told me how it works.

To engage the down feed, the little acing knob has to be out. The you just pull on the quill feed lever. Once the drill touches the object, the it of up pressure engages the down feed. Then when the quill hits the adjustable stop, or you pull up on the feed lever, the feed disengages.

Back