Forgive me, its not metal . . .

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Got a wild hair today and thermoformed some engineering plastic into a tailwheel pant for my Sonerai plane build. The two halves matched perfectly and they are very strong, in spite of being only .040" thick. A few fasteners and matching paint and its done and ready to mount on the plane's tailwheel.Tailpant 1.JPGTailpant 2.JPG
These were formed with the kitchen oven, a vacuum cleaner, and a plywood box.:lmao:

Tom

Tailpant 1.JPG Tailpant 2.JPG

I like it. What is engineering plastic? What did you use for a mold to form the shape? I love it when people find ways to do things in thier home with commonly available items that otherwise could cost 1000s of dollars to accomplish. :)) I'm interested in the process.

Only your imagination limits the methods and products of that particular method of making parts from certain plastics. Not too difficult, and extremely versatile.

Very nice.

I also would like to see and hear the process for that.

It's called "vacuum forming" and there's at least a hundred of videos in YouTube showing it.

We've used the same process to make forms for fruits so that they would grow into the same shape formed by the mold.

Anyone wants a skull-shaped pear?
Encase the young fruit inside a skull-shaped form while it's still growing.

Rangerman is correct, it is vacuum forming. The plastic is similar to ABS, but has better impact resistance. Actually, there are several plastics which will form with vacuum or pressure. Truth is, I'd be embarrassed to video this process, because the equipment is very "rudimentary". But I will describe it. Two years ago I needed to do this to form lenses for my homebuilt wingtip strobes. I built a crude plywood box about a foot long, with an open top. I applied that cheap gray 1/4" stickyback foam on the edges of the open side. A hole was cut into the box which provided a slip fit for a vacuum hose. A second hole of about 1/2" Ø was drilled in the opposite side of the box. A form was cut out of a rectangular piece of plywood which was large enough to cover the opening in the box - just a perimeter of the teardrop shape I wanted. A second piece of ply had the same shape cut out of it, but about 1/8" larger all around.

A blank piece of .040" plastic was cut, the same size as the forms (rectangle). The plastic is placed on top of the form, then the second, larger, form board placed on top of the plastic. This "sandwich" is heated in a kitchen oven until the plastic sags about 1/2" in the center. turn on the vacuum and quickly grab the sandwich out of the oven and place it on the box. Hold it down tight, while using a finger over the 1/2" hole to regulate the vacuum in the box, controlling the depth of draw. You can draw too far, so some finesse is required here. Blow on the plastic (that's right - huff and puff) to cool it and set the plastic. This method is called freeblown or freedrawn.

A variation would be to clamp plastic into its sandwich and pull it over a form, such as a skull (no, not the mother-in-law's). Also requires vacuum to pull it into the details of the form. A third variation would be male and female forms to press the hot plastic into the desired shape, but this is much more difficult.

So there you have it. An oven, a box, a vacuum cleaner or shop vac, two pieces of plywood and a little plastic. Anyone can do it. Of course, you could opt for the deluxe thermoforming machine for several thousand dollars, but I kinda like my $5 one.

Tom

Oh cool. I would have thought that you would have used the 2nd or third method. Pretty simple!
Thanks

Back