For Those With A Fixed Income

I know what you're talking about when it comes to disability . The worst part for me was having finally set my shop up and then becoming disabled and not being able to do work out of it like I had intended . If you make a dollar and you're on disability you can be kicked off. So now instead of having a shop to supplement my income all I have is a shop for me to play in on my good days.

TRY LIVIN ON A DISABILITY INCOME FOR OVER THIRTY YEARS. IM DISABLED IN A WHEELCHAIR AND I FIGHT TO SURVIVE DAILY. I FIX OLD MOWERS TO SELL AND PEOPLE STILL ACT LIKE IM ROBBING THEM WHEN I ASK FOR A HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A MOWER THAT COST OVER THREE HUNDRED NEW. I GO OVER EVERYTHING ON THE MOWERS AND GIVE A THIRTY DAY GUARANTEE . FEW DO BUY THEM AND NO HAGGLING BUT THE ONES IN THE $60,000 SUV WANT TO GIVE $50.00 . SERVICE ON A MOWER AROUND HERES $85.00 OR MORE.
MY ONE PET PEEVE IS I WORK DERN HARD TRYING TO LIVE WITH BELOW POVERTY INCOME.

I fully understand what you are saying. I have been on Social security disability since I was 47 years old. I am 64 now. I went from $65,000 a year to less than $20k. They broke me, forced me into bankruptcy and I lost everything. What didn't get repossessed , I had to sell to survive until my checks started. I too was in a wheel chair and still am part of the time (some medical implants have helped me gain a little more mobility in the last two years). When I started replacing tools and machinery, I bought close to junk and fixed it up. I make my own tooling because I can't afford to buy it. ( that is why you find so many projects of mine on here are tooling). I envy people who can walk. Try running a lathe or mill from a wheel chair. It is hard to do. My tiny shop no longer has room to get the wheel chair in so I now work from crutches or sitting on a stool. I have to wear a monitor in case I need help now. (I'm not supposed to be in the shop alone after having a stroke out there, but I said I would rather drop dead running my lathe than sitting in the house in my wheel chair). I never look for pity or accept it. I can do anything anyone else can. It just takes longer and maybe more planning. I don't qualify for ANY services or programs and the government won't let you earn any extra dollars. I get most of my stock scrounging through trash barrels of a couple companies that are nice enough to let me do so. I like to think I can show disabled hobbyists they can still do anything they want.
...... Off my soapbox and wheeling to the shop to make more chips now.

Yes it is hard for those on disability. I am a bit more fortunate than some because I am still able to get around. But like Mark I too had to sell off a lot of stuff to survive until I got my first check. I just hit retirement age so I am off disability and on regular social security. I am only good for about 3 or 4 hours of work a day in my garage or workshop. So I plan my jobs carefully. Once in a while I may spend more time because machining takes a bit more than I figured. Hard to judge time when you are working with machines that were not made to do what you have them doing. When I push myself a bit and go 6 or 7 hrs I am no good for 2 or 3 days because I just don't feel good or have the energy to do anything. If it wasn't for a friend giving me a car 2 years ago we would only have i running vehicle ( the wife's work truck ). If it wasn't for her doing what she can we would not survive. Of course now that Obamacare is in effect we have added expenses because of her insurance and my income is just over the allowable to get any help. So I am not consider in poverty yet.

I fully understand what you are saying. I have been on Social security disability since I was 47 years old. I am 64 now. I went from $65,000 a year to less than $20k. They broke me, forced me into bankruptcy and I lost everything. What didn't get repossessed , I had to sell to survive until my checks started. I too was in a wheel chair and still am part of the time (some medical implants have helped me gain a little more mobility in the last two years). When I started replacing tools and machinery, I bought close to junk and fixed it up. I make my own tooling because I can't afford to buy it. ( that is why you find so many projects of mine on here are tooling). I envy people who can walk. Try running a lathe or mill from a wheel chair. It is hard to do. My tiny shop no longer has room to get the wheel chair in so I now work from crutches or sitting on a stool. I have to wear a monitor in case I need help now. (I'm not supposed to be in the shop alone after having a stroke out there, but I said I would rather drop dead running my lathe than sitting in the house in my wheel chair). I never look for pity or accept it. I can do anything anyone else can. It just takes longer and maybe more planning. I don't qualify for ANY services or programs and the government won't let you earn any extra dollars. I get most of my stock scrounging through trash barrels of a couple companies that are nice enough to let me do so. I like to think I can show disabled hobbyists they can still do anything they want.
...... Off my soapbox and wheeling to the shop to make more chips now.

Hi Mark, thanks for the back story. I was very impressed with the work that comes out of your shop. Now I'm amazed!

Bruce

A person is only crippled if they want to be. I have to much to do to be crippled....... Excuse me , I believe I should say disabled. There is a sign in my shop that says

" Live life as though .... When you arise, Satan shudders and says..... Oh crap.... He's awake."

I second Bruce's comment, Mark. I was amazed at the work coming from your shop just from reading through your assorted builds (which I thoroughly enjoyed and plan to adapt for my own use). Now, knowing that you are wheelchair bound, I am completely dumbfounded! You truly are a great inspiration to all of us!
I am fortunate enough to still be working and have just started getting into machining. My recent entry into this hobby means that I don't have much tooling, but I do have a somewhat large stockpile of material (read as "scrap pile"). If I have anything that may fit the needs of someone who is truly in need, I'm happy to help however I can. This really is the friendliest forum I have found online. That is what keeps me coming back, along with the vast wealth of knowledge that is offered for free to all. Thank you all and God bless! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you all! :)

I second Bruce's comment, Mark. I was amazed at the work coming from your shop just from reading through your assorted builds (which I thoroughly enjoyed and plan to adapt for my own use). Now, knowing that you are wheelchair bound, I am completely dumbfounded! You truly are a great inspiration to all of us!
I am fortunate enough to still be working and have just started getting into machining. My recent entry into this hobby means that I don't have much tooling, but I do have a somewhat large stockpile of material (read as "scrap pile"). If I have anything that may fit the needs of someone who is truly in need, I'm happy to help however I can. This really is the friendliest forum I have found online. That is what keeps me coming back, along with the vast wealth of knowledge that is offered for free to all. Thank you all and God bless! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you all! :)

Thank you,

Thanks to good Doctor's, and the implant of a morphine pump, I now get out of my wheel chair almost 50% of the time around the house. I still use crutches a lot and sit on a stool to work most of the time. I don't hurt any less, but with the pump, I just don't feel it as much. I'm getting another implant soon that should help even more. There was a time a couple years ago when they didn't think I would live much longer and I still am in a good bit of danger with that. After two heart attacks, two strokes and open heart surgery , I am still here cutting chips. It was and still is my last desire to pass on what machining knowledge I can and show everyone that you can make your own quality tooling without spending a boat load of cash. I just want to pass on what I know and pay forward the good fortune I have been blessed with.

Hi All,

I just wanted to say that I am on-board with @Billh50 's original message.
I am not rich, but I do want to offer up what I can.
I also want to "pay it forward".

Just ask (PM or right here) if you need something.........I will do what I can.

-brino

Mark I too lost everything in 1979. In fact we had two little girls 3 + 2 year olds. We lived off family for years , I was in hospitals and rehab for 6 months and out patient for years. We lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwich or potatoes during those years. I never had any retirement savings , I had made Forman in our shop just a few months before, like you Mark I went from $25,000 a year to $500.00 a month . After the 1 year wait to get the ssi disability.
People think they have it made on disability I'd rather have my legs and normal body over that income. I only wish all of congress and any other overpriced government official had to live on that for three or more years. I bet things would change some. Our government officials treat our service men and women as bad as they treat the old and disabled ,when it comes to living expenses . Just the way I see it.

I believe in "paying it forward" in many ways . If I can help someone by machining or fixing something for them, I do it. But it is not limited to machining. The grocery store I go you have to put a quarter in to get a buggy. I always give my buggy to the next person that needs one or just leave the quarter in it for the next person. If I see some woman buying groceries, has a couple kids and is a couple dollars short, I pay the difference (I been hungry before an NEVER will be again. At one time I had to sell blood to get food). I prefer to help people anonymously when I can. I don't look for thanks or attention. If you help anonymously, the person isn't embarrassed or feel obligated. I find my targets to give to , but I don't help people who come up and ask if I am not sure of their situation because a lot of those are con artists. I do it for myself not attention ( that is why I prefer anonymous). I have been blessed in my life and just want to pay it forward.

Back