For those who think all PM owners keep pristine equipment

I am pleased that my question resulted in so many answers. Now I have more research to do regarding one of these systems for my new PM-833T (when it gets here).

My better half came up with an idea for the long aluminum strings and chips - she's been stuffing them into glass jars and decorating with them...
Works out well, shop gets cleaned up and she's being creative. :grin:

LOL: Clean Machine? NOT! Here's old faithful. Pretty sure I bought it in 2012 and it's seen nearly continuous, daily use for the last 6 years. Still rock solid and all I dois oil the ways and give it a half-decent cleaning every few weeks. Take that back... The 2 drive belts wore out and had to be replaced. I turned a shaft the other day that was spec'd for 1.250" +0.000, -0.001. Material was 1045 with starting diameter at 1.5". Nailed the final diameter at 1.2497 at the two critical race ways.

It ain't pretty but it can cut! I think I might paint it a different color some day. That eggshell white always looks dirty/grimy.

Ray C.

View attachment 250058

Ray, good to see ya back. It's been a while since you've been on the forum.

Mike

I was getting some stringers that were 6' or longer. Wrapping around the levelers and snaking under the tool box. And at .050" thick,
they were strong enough that I had to be careful picking them up. Sharp and tough. Didn't cut myself today though. :)
A method of dealing with long chips is to make a chip hook; a piece of spring wire about 1/8" diameter and perhaps 16" long, bend a 90 deg. 1/2 " long on one end and drive the other into a file handle on the other, when a curled chip gets long enough you just hook it and pull on it close to the tool holder and break it, also good for pulling drill chips out of the way and breaking them.

Back