For Those Forced To Use A Drill Press For Milling

Before Rudy died he made many videos like this for the neophyte. I met Rudy on several occasions at different shows. If he says it, it is gospel. Thank you Bill.

"Billy G"

I don't think you should do side milling, certainly not anything remotely deep. The forces on the cutter are trying to pull it downwards, and without a draw bar, your chuck will come out.

For light surface cuts, it works alright, I've done it myself in the past

It can happen....but hasn't happened to me yet in 6yrs using my drill press as a miller. I do both surface and side milling all the time. Just have to take small cuts and slower feeds. Plunge cuts also.

It all depends on the drill press and the chuck. my chuck holds endmills very tight.

Bad idea using a drill press for milling . . . . very dangerous . . . .
The worst that can happen is the endmill slips, drill chuck dismounts or you nick your workpiece. From what I've seen online, some very nice work can be done on a drill press.

Or, the chuck comes out spinning at 600 or 800 rpm with a supper sharp 2 or 4 flute end mill taking a football bounce and you do the (un)Happy Dance to avoid it slicing your hands, arms, legs or foot. Bad idea all around.

well like I said....I am not like the guys who can afford to buy a mill so I use what I have. It has worked for me for 6yrs with no problems. I just make sure I don't take too heavy a cut. And the information was only for those who can't afford to buy a mill. I got the drill press for nothing and the cross slide was only $100.

So unless someone has a mill for sale for that low a price I can't afford it as that is about all I have left for hobbies each month because disability doesn't pay much.

Bill as I have written elsewhere on this forum I have been using my JET-13R, made in Japan circa 1970's for a mill for over 6 years doing light clock work. When I first got it, and before I thought of using it for a mill the chuck would come out drilling 1/2" holes in 4" steel channel. I finally got so P'd off that one evening I cleaned up the taper, but some loctite sleeve retainer on the taper, slammed the quill down onto the table and hung a weight on the spindle feed. It hasn't come off in 45 years. Hope I never have to take it off.

I have made a few mods to the X-Y table and DP to control the down feed. Fortunately mine has a rack and crank to adjust the table height.

David

David.....we do what we have to to get things done. And I wish I had a rack and crank on mine. Things would be so much easier with them.

Back