Flooring...

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I probably should have stayed with the concrete, or epoxy coated the floor, but, it's a small area, and I wanted it to look nice, while allowing me to roll my machines (which are all on wheels) over it. That is a tall order for most floor tiles. So I went expensive. I bought the Duroextreme tiles. They are USA, PVC, 20"x 20", 1/4" thick, and pretty impervious.

tile 1.jpg tile2.jpg

Nice. And more comfortable than bare concrete, for sure.

I worked for a time in a shop where they had a similar textured tile on the floor. It was nice in the fact that dropped items did not tend to go far, but a shop vac was an absolute must for cleaning up. You could use a broom to get everything swept to one spot, but you could never get everything into the dust pan because of the floor texture. We always had to get out the shop vac to get the last bits off the floor.

That's good to know. I do have a shop vac ready. These tiles are stain resistant .

Truth be known, I've gotten so used to just using a shop vac that I don't even have a dustpan in the basement shop. Dustpans have been relegated to the garage where that evil tablesaw resides.

I'm still using the broom and dustpan on my natural concrete floor. I can't say i've ever experienced any foot/leg/back problmes I could blame on the floor. The last shop I worked in had 'duckboards' around each machine, cursed every time I'd back off one.

I have some of those nice cushiony mats for in front of my bench and the lathe... The only problem I run into is when I need to sit on my little stool to get to something low on a boat motor, and it won't roll around... really irks me something fierce and the darned Sailor comes out..lol

After spending a lot of time in abandoned industrial buildings, If I ever can put a decent shop together it will have a wood block floor:
http://jennisonwright.com/woodblock.html
It was the standard for more than a century and is smooth, warm, quiet and absorbent. Takes wear and abuse well, and the only installations where I've seen it fail have been open to the weather or consistently flooded. Just my opinion, but I really like this stuff.

Interesting you should mention that Pebbleworm, When serving the US Navy, in their Machinery Repairman "A" School, what type of flooring did they have?? Wood blocks... Thought it was very odd at the time, and never thought much of it till you mentioned it:)

Back