Flood Coolant Set Up Questions

While you're waiting for PMDX to get on the ball, you could try unplugging the 107 board from the 126. Then see if you get the LED and/or 5VDC at P1-P14 when you toggle M3/M4.

Good idea. I'll give it a shot in the morning.

While you're waiting for PMDX to get on the ball, you could try unplugging the 107 board from the 126. Then see if you get the LED and/or 5VDC at P1-P14 when you toggle M3/M4.

Unplugged the 107. No change. P1 P16 LED comes on whether it's a M3 or M4 command. I'm measuring voltage across the Gnd terminal and P16 terminal on J6. I'm getting about 1vdc. Shouldn't I see 5vdc? The FWD signal is getting to the 107 board because I'm seeing 24vdc between the 107 and VFD.

Not if you have P1-P16 set to PWM output. You could change your spindle speed and see if the voltage goes up or down.

Another test to narrow it down -

1. Leave the 107 unplugged.
2. Uncheck "disable spindle relays"
3. Set CW to Output 1
4. Set CCW to Output 2
5. Change Output 1 to P1-P16
6. Change Output 2 to P1-P14
7. Change Spindle on Motor tab/window - enable the spindle, but clear out the step/dir pins.
7. Toggle M3/M4 and you should get the two LED's on the 126 to light up.

This should emulate using simple on/off relays to turn the spindle on and off with no speed control. The point of this test is to try to force, in some way, P1-P14 to go high. Trying to check if you have a blown 126 board.

Not if you have P1-P16 set to PWM output. You could change your spindle speed and see if the voltage goes up or down.

3. Set CW to Output 1
4. Set CCW to Output 2
7. Change Spindle on Motor tab/window - enable the spindle, but clear out the step/dir pins.

This should emulate using simple on/off relays to turn the spindle on and off with no speed control. The point of this test is to try to force, in some way, P1-P14 to go high. Trying to check if you have a blown 126 board.

Got it. Another test tomorrow.

3. Set CW to Output 1
4. Set CCW to Output 2

Ran the test as you suggested. P16 LED lights up but no Pin 14 LED. I think the Pin 14 relay is toast. Thinking back on the K2 (P1P14) relay configuration issues I had I might have done something. Just don't know what I did.

While I was reading through the PMDX-126 manual, for the 20th time, I read where J6 and J5 are the same types of outputs. Wow! Did some more reading and thought maybe this is a work around. Changed my configuration to use Port 2 Pins 14 and 16 and ran the test above. With a M3 command J5 "C" LED lights up and a M4 command lights up the J5 "B" and "C" lights are on. Maybe I'm on to something. Next hurdle to overcome is getting the 126 board to pass these signals to the 107 board. Guess I'll be reading the manual for the 21st time. LOL

I was able to make contact with PMDX yesterday. They suggested a few more tests and all had the same results: the control signal is not getting to P1 P14. PMDX said send the BoB back and they would either fix it or replace it. I'm happy with that.

Whew. Good to hear you have a solution, and that PMDX is going to make it right.

Update - Got the diagnosis from PMDX yesterday. According to PMDX the buffer chip that drives the P1 Pin14 signal has a dead output on that signal. They say this is unusual for a single signal on a chip to die, but it does happen. So all that testing we did and subsequent conclusions we made have been confirmed by the manufacturer. We were fighting a dead BoB.

The board is in the mail and should be arriving in a day or two. Hopefully I'll have my mill up and running early next week.

Update - Got the diagnosis from PMDX yesterday. According to PMDX the buffer chip that drives the P1 Pin14 signal has a dead output on that signal. They say this is unusual for a single signal on a chip to die, but it does happen. So all that testing we did and subsequent conclusions we made have been confirmed by the manufacturer. We were fighting a dead BoB.

The board is in the mail and should be arriving in a day or two. Hopefully I'll have my mill up and running early next week.

Back when I was working for a living, one output on a chip out of many being bad was the most common failure. They know their product better than I do, but that's my experience.

Back when I was working for a living, one output on a chip out of many being bad was the most common failure. They know their product better than I do, but that's my experience.

Thanks for your input. I'm taking them at their word as my knowledge of electronic components is nil, at best. As long as the board works when I get it back I'll be happy. My mill has been down for about a month and the projects are stacking up.

Back