Flood Coolant Set Up Questions

Have you re-checked this? If your 5V supply has gotten lower output, more things are going to stop working.

If I'm reading this right, you went from the SSR not triggering the AC relay to almost (?) nothing working.

Just to clarify I was using Port1/Pin1 to power the DC voltage side of the SSR. What I found out was 3.95vdc was not enough to energize the SSR. I tested the SSR with a separate 18vdc power supply and the SSR worked. Haven't done anything with this because I've changed my approach and am going down the path of using K1 or K2 directly power up my coolant pump.

If you've never gotten the BOB LED's working, then there's a config problem in Mach, a dead PP cable or physical pin, or the BOB is truly smoked.

If it were just the relays, the BOB LED's would light up. And since the BOB has an onboard 120/240VAC transformer on it, there's no issue with a power supply to the BOB. If you're using an ESS are you powering it through the BOB?

My ESS has a separate regulated power supply. I've got lights on all over the BoB just can't get K1 or K2 Led's to turn on, until I followed your suggestion. I changed JP2 to "multimode" and configured Mach accordingly. When I toggle the Flood button or enter an M8 command K2 energizes, the LED lights, and the Output #2 light on Mach's Diagnostic screen comes on. This tells me the configuration is correct. However, I get no voltage across either the NO and COM terminals or the NC and COM terminals when the relay is energized. With my multimeter I'm getting continuity across NO and COM terminals and NC and COM terminals whether the relay is energized or not. This doesn't make sense to me because if the contacts were stuck closed I should see voltage. How can I check to see if there is AC voltage at the relay?

Tom, Here is my suggestion on troubleshooting this: Looking at the diagram for the PMDX-126 board section 7.2 it looks like all the PMDX-126 board is providing is relay contacts, so you will not get any voltage from any terminals unless you supply the power (as in the diagram). This does not explain your test that shows continuity across NO and COM and also NC and COM regardless of the relay state. I assume you are testing the continuity with Nothing connected to the terminals. If not be sure to disconnect any wires connected to J10 then test Continuity. With ALL power removed from the board you should be able to see Continuity between NC and COM but NOT between NO and COM.
I would recomend
1. Remove any wires at all from J10​
2. Remove all power from the PMDX-126​
3. Test continuity​
3.1 Expected result: Continuity between NC and COM​
3.2 Expected result: NO Continuity between NO and COM​
3.3 if you do NOT get the expected results then either you continuity tester is not working or the relay/PMDX-126 has failed is some way​
4. If successful the apply power to the PMDX-126 and use MACH three to Toggle the Relay while testing Continuity​
4.1 Expected result: Alternating between Continuity and NO Continuity as you toggle the relay with MACH3​
4.2 Expected result: Alternating between Continuity and NO Continuity as you toggle the relay with MACH3​
4.3 If you do NOT get the expected results but you did in test 3, then MACH 3 is not correctly controlling the relay regardless of what the LED is telling you. If the LED is toggling but test 4 fails then likely a PMDX-126 board problem.​
5. If successful then wire up the pump per the diagram in section 7.2 Be sure to take advantage of the MOV as this will extend relay life considerably.​

Tom, Here is my suggestion on troubleshooting this: Looking at the diagram for the PMDX-126 board section 7.2 it looks like all the PMDX-126 board is providing is relay contacts, so you will not get any voltage from any terminals unless you supply the power (as in the diagram). This does not explain your test that shows continuity across NO and COM and also NC and COM regardless of the relay state. I assume you are testing the continuity with Nothing connected to the terminals. If not be sure to disconnect any wires connected to J10 then test Continuity. With ALL power removed from the board you should be able to see Continuity between NC and COM but NOT between NO and COM.
I would recomend
1. Remove any wires at all from J10​
2. Remove all power from the PMDX-126​
3. Test continuity​
3.1 Expected result: Continuity between NC and COM​
3.2 Expected result: NO Continuity between NO and COM​
3.3 if you do NOT get the expected results then either you continuity tester is not working or the relay/PMDX-126 has failed is some way​
4. If successful the apply power to the PMDX-126 and use MACH three to Toggle the Relay while testing Continuity​
4.1 Expected result: Alternating between Continuity and NO Continuity as you toggle the relay with MACH3​
4.2 Expected result: Alternating between Continuity and NO Continuity as you toggle the relay with MACH3​
4.3 If you do NOT get the expected results but you did in test 3, then MACH 3 is not correctly controlling the relay regardless of what the LED is telling you. If the LED is toggling but test 4 fails then likely a PMDX-126 board problem.​
5. If successful then wire up the pump per the diagram in section 7.2 Be sure to take advantage of the MOV as this will extend relay life considerably.​

Thanks Boswell. In the last week I've read a lot about this BoB and in particular the K1 and K2 relays. I found nothing definitive, at least in my mind, that says the AC power that is switched by these two relays is internal or external to the board. So I've erred on the safe side and went with the AC power is internal. Evidently I've made an incorrect assumption.

If the AC power is external then "line/black" goes to either the NO or NC terminal then from the COM terminal to the pump "line" connection. "Neutral/white" goes to the motor neutral connection. Just want to make sure so I don't fry my board.

BTW - I'll do the tests you suggested before moving on to the final wiring.

You got it.

I would use the Normally Open (NO) contact.

The relay is alike a switch. It goes in-line with the Black wire. So pretend you are wiring up the pump with a plug into a wall outlet. Then take the Black Wire and cut it, putting one side into the COM (Common) and the other side into the NO (Normally OPEN) Then when you energize the relay the NO (Normally Open) contact closes and it is just like you re-connected the black wire where you "cut it"

Last edited:
Tom,

I didn't get it until you mentioned "internal or external to the board"

Sorry, I assumed you knew that the relays were simply for switching external loads and didn't provide 110/220 to anything. The on-board transformer is just there because (I suspect) PMDX didn't want their board under/over powered by a cheap power supply.

If you use K1, it has an internal MOV so there's only two terminals. If you choose to use K2 - and that one should also handle your pump just fine - then use the MOV by connecting black/hot to both MOV and NO terminals using a little jumper wire. As described in the manual, the MOV helps reduce relay contact arcing.

-S

You got it.

I would use the Normally Open (NO) contact.

The relay is alike a switch. It goes in-line with the Black wire. So pretend you are wiring up the pump with a plug into a wall outlet. Then take the Black Wire and cut it, putting one side into the COM (Common) and the other side into the NO (Normally OPEN) Then when you energize the relay the NO (Normally Open) contact closes and it is just like you re-connected the black wire where you "cut it"

As you can tell I'm not electrically inclined. Thanks for simplifying it for me.

Tom,

Sorry, I assumed you knew that the relays were simply for switching external loads and didn't provide 110/220 to anything. The on-board transformer is just there because (I suspect) PMDX didn't want their board under/over powered by a cheap power supply.

If you use K1, it has an internal MOV so there's only two terminals. If you choose to use K2 - and that one should also handle your pump just fine - then use the MOV by connecting black/hot to both MOV and NO terminals using a little jumper wire. As described in the manual, the MOV helps reduce relay contact arcing.

-S

No worries. I has assumed that because the board is being fed with either 115vac or 230vac the relays were tied into the board power source. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Tom,

-S

No worries. I has assumed that because the board is being fed with either 115vac or 230vac the relays were tied into the board power source. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Success!!! I ran the troubleshooting tests Boswell suggested and they were all good, e.g. continuity and no continuity when expected. Wired K2 relay and pump motor and the pump started and stopped when I toggled the "Flood" button. Also tested it using M8 and M9 on the MDI screen.

Thanks guys for your coaching and patience. Next step is to configure my post processor to include an M8 and M9 command when I generate a gcode file.

Back