Flood Coolant Amount?

Wrencher2423

Registered
Registered
I am in the process of converting my g0704 mill to a cnc and going to add flood coolant and wondering what the amount of coolant I will need. I see 3 gallon,5 gallon and even 10 gallon systems . Not sure what size I should be planning for. Got the chip tray built and all the nema motors and are currently waiting on the ballscrews and mounts from Arizona Dave . Any advice on this subject would help. I am a complete noobie on this whole cnc thing . Going to hopefully teach my self how to run this machine. We will see. Thanks

I say 10 gallons, you could drain a 5 gallon tank and you don't want your submersible pump sucking air or sticking up out of the coolant they use the coolant to keep the pump cool. Your mill table drain holes will clog with chips and your table will fill up with coolant. Then your chip pain drain will plug up slowing drainage back to the tank. I also used the flood coolant to clean up the machine spraying down the enclosure and that probably uses more coolant flow than during machining. Yeah 5 gallons too little 15 gallons too much 10 gallons about right unless you have an enclosure that allows you to blast coolant at full throttle.

Here's a coolant tank, these things are thick and tough as nails and cost only $20 for the 14 gallon. They also make a 20 gallon. http://www.lowes.com/pd_136523-1097-1869454___?productId=4462429&pl=1&Ntt=tote

I am in the process of converting my g0704 mill to a cnc and going to add flood coolant and wondering what the amount of coolant I will need. I see 3 gallon,5 gallon and even 10 gallon systems . Not sure what size I should be planning for. Got the chip tray built and all the nema motors and are currently waiting on the ballscrews and mounts from Arizona Dave . Any advice on this subject would help. I am a complete noobie on this whole cnc thing . Going to hopefully teach my self how to run this machine. We will see. Thanks

My coolant tank on the Tormach 770 holds about 3 gallons. I could add more but if the chip tray plugs, there is a possibility of overflow. As it is, the coolant tray holds about a gallon so the pump will be starved for coolant, a signal to me to clean the chip tray. I have about a half gallon window where I can operate without starving the pump at full volume. This will usually be sufficient for two to three days of continuous machining with a need for replenishment

This all depends upon your system setup. It looks like the 704 is similar in size to the Tormach 770. I have 1/2" npt ports on my table which drain onto the coolant splash tray and then to the coolant tank. A more direct drain system would require less reserve capacity. My pump pickup is also set fairly high. It needs to be high enough so as not to pull in chips but there is a fair amount of coolant in the tank when the pump no longer works. Other manufacturers may have designed more efficient tanks/pumps.

One thing to consider is the cost of coolant replacement. Coolant can be freshened up but eventually, it becomes foul enough to require a complete change. I run a water based coolant at a 1:15 dilution. Ten gallons of mixed coolant would require almost three quarts of coolant concentrate.

Bob

Wrencher,
I just went down and checked my system. Actually, the minimum working volume is 3 gals. I usually work between 3 & 4 gals. for the reason stated above. The total volume of the tank is more like 7 gals. so, if I were willing to chance overflow of the chip tray, I could run quite a bit more volume.

Bob

I was going to go with a ten gallon system but wasn't sure. What type of coolant are you guys using ? I know that is a loaded question . It's like what type of peanut butter do you like. I priced hangsterfers s500 from local supplier at 135.00 for 5 gallon. Not sure what to do.

I used Trico Tri-Cool TC1 full synthetic coolant for several years, no issues, easy on the skin, no rust. Oil free, completely biodegradable.

• Includes a rust inhibitor to prevent rust at lower concentrations
  • Includes a broad spectrum biocide/fungicide to protect fluid from biological growth
  • Added extreme pressure additive for improved tool life and surface finish
  • High reserve alkalinity making the pH level more stable

I use Premier Synthetic Coolant 600 that I get from Tormach. I have been using it for almost four years and don't have problem with rusting or growth in it. No odor problems requiring changing it. I run the same coolant for about a year. The label has a warning about skin contact but it seems that on many occasions, I'm bathing in it. so far no reactions.

I ran it 10 to 1 ratio, this was about 9 years ago when I had my cnc mill. It will leave a thin film on everything when dry, but wets out and washes off again when you turn the coolant back on during your next work session.

I use Rustlick 5050 at 20:1. No problems with rust or discoloration. I get it from Enco for $25 a gallon on sale.
BTW - I have the 14 gallon Rubbermaid storage container mentioned above. Works great and the price is right. And I have a wash down hose for cleanup.

Tom S

Back