Flea Market finds

Surprman

Active User
Registered
I picked up a couple tools on vacation at a local flea market. One is a small square marked DB&S Prov RI. Another is an interior caliper "Yankee" (patent June 2, 1885). The last item looks like some sort of broach. Looks like it could be for wood - too delicate for metal. I definitely have a use for the square and caliper (not sure about the broach). The seller wanted $20 for both of them and I asked him to throw in the broach for the $20.

Rick

image.jpg

Nice find. That last item is a wood mortising tool, so yes is kind of a broach.

Where is the flea market near Clifton Park? I have a brother that lives there (Easton Dr.), and would be nice side trip when I'm visiting him.

Chuck

The last item, as identified by Jim Dawson, is a wood mortising chisel. To use it it requires the appropriate wood auger bit and a clamping device that mounts to your drill press spindle to hold the chisel. Here is a link to a mortising http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7789/images/1 at Grizzly.

Vlad

Where is the flea market near Clifton Park? I have a brother that lives there (Easton Dr.), and would be nice side trip when I'm visiting him.

Chuck

Chuck,

Unfortunately, the flea market was in Eastham, MA where we went on vacation. Interestingly, I was in Jonesborough, TN a few months ago. A work colleague of mine took me to the Depot Street Brewery. It was a pretty strange place - felt like I was intruding on someone's house. The bocci court out back was pretty good (so was their beer).

Rick

Thanks for replying, Rick. I didn't think I'd seen any flea markets in Clifton Park!
We do have one here in Jonesborough, though I've not been in a while. I have had some good finds there.
Chuck

"The last item looks like some sort of broach. Looks like it could be for wood"
It does look like a mortising tool for wood, but could also be used as a punch for leather.

Two weeks ago, a 4" 4 jaw chuck, never used, but missing one screw, $8.00.
Last year 2 English made 2" V blocks $5.00 each and a lot of end mills at .50 each including a couple of 60 deg ones.
I also picked a 12" x 18" cast iron surface plate for $15.00, it probably weighs 40 lbs and no dings.
I try to go once a month and you can see why. Bob

Back