Fixing A Transfer Punch or Transferring it to the trash

I thought that I had posted this yesterday, but could not find it in any listings. Anyway.... I purchased a horrible freight transfer punch about a year ago when 1st getting my machine. Needing so many things and not knowing where to purchase things, I thought that I would purchase a cheap set of transfer punches. However, after using these punches for 3 separate times and flattening the little point on these punches after 1 hit on 3 different punches, I think that I purchased lead punches instead.
As the points flatten, they will not make an index mark on the steel and looking at the end of the punch, they now resemble pin punches with distortion on the tip -
Could I mount these punches, drill an appropriate hole in them and cut a piece of drill bit or HSS rod, grind a point on them, and then use locktite to secure them in the punch bodies - is this a good idea :pondering::pondering: or will it not work. :anyone:

One thing I was taught about using transfer punches is to tap on the lightly then spin the punch a quarter of a turn and tap them again. I used mine to transfer hole locations from die sections to a die set. I don't remember what brand they are, it been over 20 years ago.

I would take the set back and exchange them. Might try the old file trick and see if you can cut a notch in the shaft to see if they were case hardened.

Good luck,

The drill and set a new pin idea works for me. I would use some good old tig tungs that are too short to burn and get a good point on it. face and drill the face of the TP and drive it home with red or green Loctite. Money saver and fun shop project too!!!!!!

Bob

a small tap-rotate-tap lightly again --then use a center punch to tap harder---when your transfer punch is dull then just put it in the lathe and make another middle point with a lathe bit---should never need to buy a new one---unless some one uses a big hammer using it for a regular punch and bends the shaft( I have seen this in shops)--------------HF transfer punches work fine if used correctly and can be repointed on the lathe like all others when dull----Dave

I also bought a set of HF transfer punches about 8 years ago & have used them quite a bit with no problems. I'd say you got a set that hadn't been hardened or not tempered properly. I use mine mostly on steel & strike them firmly with a 1 pound copper hammer then restrike the divot with a center punch & the same hammer. As soft as your punches seem to be you shouldn't have much trouble either drilling the ends & inserting new points or turning the ends of the punches.

Back