Fix for Broken Leadscrew Bearing 07403:

Back in the dark ages when I was about 11 years old.... My Dad had an older 12" Atlas, it was probably around 1968 he added a quick change gear box which I believe he purchased from Sears. I also remember him adding a lead screw bearing that was black and brass with roller thrust bearings. I vaguely remember that was not part of the package that came from from Sears but rather came from another supplier. I don't know if the new lead screw had a shear pin or some sort of slip clutch.

If the lead screw right bearing block was brass, it was made by someone other than Atlas. The right bearing assembly on the final version Atlas 12" machines is all steel. And they do all have a slip clutch on the left end right next to the QCGB. Although the QCGB that will fit the 101.07403 can be converted to carry the slip clutch on its right end, AFAIK Atlas never sold it "pre-converted". Your father would have had to buy the gearbox (I think that in 1968, they were still available from Atlas (Clausing) or Sears and buy the additional parts for the conversion. The QCGB model that came with the slip clutch will not fit a 101.07403.

Back