First V-700 VMC - Opinions?

Jester966

Registered
Registered
The company I work for has a small machine shop with 7 manual mills, a manual lathe, and a surface grinder. The shop supports the assembly of our own automation machines and does not do production work. Typical quantities are 1 to 4 parts and there are few repeat jobs. Our parts are typically fairly small (1/2" to 6" dimensions) and not at all complex, about 75% aluminum and plastic, 25% 1018cr, 4140, A2, or O1. We are at the point now where we want to introduce a small VMC into the mix in order to keep more work in-house, as well as open our capacity a little as far as basic 2d profiling, and for occasional runs of slightly higher batch quantities. I/we will be programming with HSMExpress (or Works, if we start feeling limited) and/or manually - as I said the parts are not complex, so I suspect HSMExpress will suffice.

The used market in Ontario doesn't seem to be yielding much right now, so we are looking at new "low end" machines. I have looked at Haas VF-2's, a small Hurco, Okuma (not new, but barely used), and now a First V-700. The First is a basic, no bells 3-axis VMC with a Fanuc Oi-MF control. It seems to suit our needs just fine, and fits our humble budget nicely.

http://www.heinmanmachinery.com/product/63/FIRST/HIGH SPEED VERTICAL MACHINING CENTER/V-700

Is anyone familiar with these machines? Does anyone have or has run one? What are your thoughts? This is obviously a "budget" machine, but for what we do I just can't see what the extra $25,000+ gets us for a Haas or other similar-size name-brand machine with the same (or fewer) options. The warranties are the same. Service is a risk of course, but after today's visit to Heinman I feel fairly comfortable with that aspect. I gather the control is at the low end of Fanuc's line-up, but I don't really know how, or if, that would be an issue for us.

The boss is itching to pull the trigger on something asap, probably the First, so I would appreciate any and all thoughts you have whether you are already familiar with this particular machine or just have opinions on budget vs name-brand machinery in general.

Thanks!

Nice machine. One option I would go with is coolant thru the spindle. If interested in a Mori-DMG, I can ask my brother what they have in equivalent to this one. Probably be double the cost though. Also, if your shop does not have 240V 3-phase but has 480 V, you will have to get a stepdown transformer for the machine. And get all of the tooling you can think of up front, like two Kurt vises, several ER-32/40 holders, a couple of face mills, etc.

May also ask if a fourth axis can be ordered if there is a need for it. Especially if your going to be doing a lot of shaft work.

Back