First real project on the lathe I have had for over 30 years

DaveInConesus

Registered
Registered
Real machinists can laugh now but I made a usable tool today. I have had an Atlas/Craftsman 6x18 for over 30 years. I made a couple punches and a bunch of delrin parts for the rollers in the dishwasher but never really made anything. A few weeks ago I ordered some 6061 off of ebay and decided to make a machinist jack as a first project. Finish isn't great and the knurling is ugly but it will work. I figured out that I need a ratcheting tap wrench or I need to make a tap follower.

Dave
Machinist Jack.jpg

Nice! I need to make some of those. Easier to use than rigging up something from my table clamp set.

Nice rig. I suck at CW. :)

73 de KB7SEI

Nice! I need to make some of those. Easier to use than rigging up something from my table clamp set.

Nice rig. I suck at CW. :)

73 de KB7SEI
I am pretty bad at cw too. I had a tech+ a long time ago and did some cw but then I got off the air. I have been slowly re-learning over the last few months. No way can I work a straight key anymore.

That jack took me 2 or 3 hours. Lots of head scratching on how to fit the tool post where I needed it.

73 de W2IJL

Threading and knurling are no projects to start with. Nevertheless, you have a very good results.

Back