"first Purchase" Items?

I think I might do that. I've almost talked myself out of the G0602 and into a G4003G.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wreck" data-source="post: 334273" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
What is a "Diamond tool holder" if you don't mind the stupid question?

It's a completely awesome tool holder..

http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=18

Basically, the way a traditional tool holder holders the tool is not at the optimum angle, the diamond tool holder holds the tool at a tangential angle, work smarter not harder theory.

Diamond Holder vs standard tool holder.

88a4c94815208aaa6fe696329b744168.jpg

Not to be a smart ass but exactly how is this different? The top rake appears to be the same yet I suspect that holding the tool in such a way would drive the tool right out of the clamp on holder. If one were going to grind a HSS tool anyway then why not just use the same geometry without buying a dodgy looking tool holder.

Not to be a smart ass but exactly how is this different? The top rake appears to be the same yet I suspect that holding the tool in such a way would drive the tool right out of the clamp on holder. If one were going to grind a HSS tool anyway then why not just use the same geometry without buying a dodgy looking tool holder.

I've made round "Diamond" tool holders in the past. Never had a toolbit slip, it's surprising how well a 10/32 screw can clamp.

The geometry is the same as a normal RH tool, however these are dirt simple to sharpen! You don't always need a jig, some good lighting and practice and you should be good :)

Wreck" data-source="post: 334290" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">

I am far too much of a newb to this hobby to explain to you how it works and/or why, but I can tell you, you're wrong about driving the tool out of the holder.

Google is your friend here. I've never read anything negative about them. I also like the idea behind grinding one surface, rather than multi-surfaces.

I know this is utter blasphemy here and I'll throw on my flame suit for this comment but I have zero inclination to learn how to grind HSS bits "properly."

With modern inserts and tool holders such as a tangential holder, there is no (in my opinion) reason for me to learn to grind HSS in any other manner beyond "clamp it in the jig" as failing that, I'll be using inserts anyway.

Someone much more experienced than I:

I'd hold off buying any tooling, tool holders, or QCTP for the lathe until you make up your mind on which lathe. As for chucks the G4003G has an oddball size D1-5 spindle. There's a crap load of lathes from smaller than the G4003G up through much larger heavier 14x40 lathes that use a D1-4 spindle. The 16x40's are typically D1-6. Relatively few lathes use the D1-5. Having owned a G4003G for a couple of years if I had it to do over I'd buy a larger lathe and nothing from CHINA. Make no mistake the G4003G is a CHINA lathe with the typical CHINA quality issues. Hey you get what you pay for and its not fair comparing it to a lathe costing twice or three times the price just know that you are buying CHINA.

I'd hold off buying any tooling, tool holders, or QCTP for the lathe until you make up your mind on which lathe. As for chucks the G4003G has an oddball size D1-5 spindle. There's a crap load of lathes from smaller than the G4003G up through much larger heavier 14x40 lathes that use a D1-4 spindle. The 16x40's are typically D1-6. Relatively few lathes use the D1-5. Having owned a G4003G for a couple of years if I had it to do over I'd buy a larger lathe and nothing from CHINA. Make no mistake the G4003G is a CHINA lathe with the typical CHINA quality issues. Hey you get what you pay for and its not fair comparing it to a lathe costing twice or three times the price just know that you are buying CHINA.

You're right, as much as I can't decide what to buy, I don't think I'll be buying any tooling. I was just going to attempt to use the down time with no lathe to gear up for the next lathe. Best to decide what that will be first.

I'd love to have an old USA lathe, but I think my level of knowledge (or lack of)would get me in trouble buying a used lathe, plus this area of the country has little to offer unlike some of the more production oriented areas. That combined with my current needs, I'm wondering if a 12x36 honestly isn't too big for me.

I'm sure, especially right now, the G0602 would probably be plenty of lathe, while I can afford the G4003G, it's kinda more than I really want to spend, I'm just a hobbyist who likes to DIY as much as I can, but I'd like to grow into something.

I've got a little time to think about it. Was looking at the PM1127 last night.

Back