First post: Rebuilding 7x12 mini lathe

rspenc

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone this is my first post to the forum. I just registered there is a lot of info to digest.

I recently picked up for cheap a neglected 7x12 Chinese mini lathe. It's cleaning up nicely with the exception of the ways. No damage just fine surface type rust where dust held moisture as it sat in a garage. I've cleaned with oil, ruff cloths and a razor blade all the fine rust is gone only stains remain. The surface is very smooth and saddle is very solid. My newbie question is should I leave it as is or risk trying to remove the stains?

I wouldn't worry about staining, I would spend the time making sure that the gibs are adjusted so that the carriage moves smoothly with as little slop as possible. You will be oiling the ways anyway.

I would not worry about the stains----(I'm not a perfectionist)--just use some way oil ---Dave

If the stain bothers you then some fine steel wool (or a scotchbrite pad) and oil should clean up most surface discolourations without damaging your ways.

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to leave the ways stained. Now the adventure of getting working. Looking forward to making something!!

Back