First post...first project.

Cadgineering

Registered
Registered
I have been lurking on the forum for a few months and finally got to the point that I had something to post. I purchased a BusyBee/Craftex 9x20 lathe just before Christmas and I picked up a used HF mini mill a couple of weeks ago. It has been so cold here that I haven't had much time spent in the garage. The mini mill needs a bit of work so I started yesterday by making a new drawbar for it. With little background in machining I was pretty pleased with the result.

Now comes the question. This was made from a unknown piece of 7/8" hex stock. Should I heat treat this to harden the steel or is it fine to use it as is for a drawbar?

I also learned several things, one is that my bench at 36" high is too short...my back was killing me at the end of the day. Next project will be constructing a new workbench. The second thing I learned is that the half nut on the lathe does not work reliably...looks like another next project!

Drawbar-02.jpg

Drawbar-02.jpg

Welcome to the forums. I'm close by in Ajax.

I can't make out the material, looks like a bronze to me in the pic. You do not need to harden a draw bar. I made mine out of 12L14.

[video=youtube_share;mmaqK4VtulY]http://youtu.be/mmaqK4VtulY[/video]

Drawbars are considered to be sacrificial parts. It's better to wear out your draw bar than a set of collets.

Thanks for the responses. The colour of the picture was off, it is definitely steel. I was wondering about the sacrificial nature of it and I will leave it well enough alone.

Back