First post and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

anejo smoker

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hello all here in atlas land. 1st post, Hope to learn some more about this lathe, it was given to me, it sat for 30 or 40 years, I've been cleaning it and attachments for aweek.
What I think I know, is it's a 10f
ser# 0020119 babbit bearing
Horizontal countershaft
54 inch bed

Attachments

• 20221202_174401.jpg
    20221202_174401.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 38
Are you sure it's babbit bearing? Need a closer view
From what I can see it looks good
-Mark

Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly bunch. Don't be afraid to ask any question no matter how minor you may thing it is. Somebody will have the answer to your question.

It's a babbitt head, you can see one cap bolt sticking out under the belt cover.

You have a H-54, which is better than the 10F because the later series has power cross feed.

They only made those in babbitt for a couple of years in the late 1940s. My babbitt H-54 (just sold it in October) was a 1947 model. I think they were all Timken by 1951, so that narrows it down a lot. I found the babbitt head to run smother than the Timken heads when well adjusted.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Essentially a duplicate thread locked at the OP's request.

Active Thread:

According to my research, Atlas made lathes with Babbit bearings from about 1933 (9") until 1945 (10" and early 12"). In late 1934 they started making 10" and shortlly after started offering Timken bearings. They offered the same Timken's through about March, 1981.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back