First Lathe. Good Deal Or Waste Of Money?

Jmanb13

Registered
Registered
I just picked up my first lathe today.

It is a 1944-1950's Leblond Regal 15. The seller said he thinks its a 1946. Serial Number C7426

I think its a 15x40. The bed length is right around 75" end to end.
It came with 4 chucks. (3) 3 jaw and (1) 4 jaw.
It also has the taper attachment and a box full of tooling. I have not done an inventory but there is at least a dozen or 2 various cutting tools and a ton of bits.

It is a bit rusty, but nothing terrible, everything turns and moves without issue. I have not done a full inspection of the ways because they are covered in a very thick grease that I will need to clean before I can get a better look.

I have not seen it run, but was told it was running when the seller picked it up.

Price was $1600 delivered to my driveway.

Having trouble getting images to show. They show in my edit window but not when posted. Here are the links

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu3ko9tfdqrhmra/leblond1.jpg?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2a7l7uakzsiri9l/leblondtool.jpg?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyk2x5wfggej12z/leblondserial.jpg?raw=1

leblond1.jpg

leblondtool.jpg

leblondserial.jpg

For those that can't see the files, I've uploaded them to the post. 4GSR

leblond1.jpg

leblondserial.jpg

leblondtool.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to start somewhere. Looks good to me. Just needs a little TLC.

Welcome to the H-M forum.

Cracks me up how people can take a chuck wrench and literally turn it into a pretzel!
I have the same chuck wrench I bought new, with the chuck that it came with, back in 1979. I have yet needed to use that kind of force to bend the handle into a pretzel.

Well.........I don't really want to be the downer here but man I dunno. Looks like a project for sure. Check it out and verify it runs first thing but before you do too much moving of slides/cranking etc, I'd get after it with oil and scotchbrite asap! As long as the rust is just surface type and the ways aren't all pitted and scored it may clean up nicely. Good luck and post a follow up when you have it fired up.

seen better for less

Do the chucks that are no on the lathe have back plates? to attach them?

I had one little tiny spot of rust on the threaded nose of my regal 13" and I had to cut the chuck back plate off with a hacksaw and split it with wedges. I think the chucks like to get stuck on the threaded LeBlond Spindles.

I really really like my LeBlond though :)

Stuart

Last edited:
I see you are in Norman. Don't have much time at the moment, but if I can be of any assistance.......

You have failed to mention the intended purpose of the machine.
I don't have a specific purpose at this exact moment. Over the years I have built or designed random things and I always run into something I need and can't find. With the lathe, I would be able to create many of them.

Do the chucks that are no on the lathe have back plates? to attach them?

I had one little tiny spot of rust on the threaded nose of my regal 13" and I had to cut the chuck back plate off with a hacksaw and split it with wedges. I think the chucks like to get stuck on the threaded LeBlond Spindles.

I really really like my LeBlond though :)

Stuart

2 of the 3 chucks that are not on the machine have a back plate. Hopefully the one that is on the machine isn't stuck :)

Yep, and worse for more.

A little cleaning makes anything look better. Nice bunch of accessories too.

What kind of motor?

3 Phase. I'm going to need to get a VFD or something similar to run it.

I see you are in Norman. Don't have much time at the moment, but if I can be of any assistance.......

Thanks Paul! I might hit you up sometime.

Last edited:
Cleaned up the ways a little and made a video. From looking at the wear patterns it really looks like the previous owner used the carriage at the far end way more than close to the chuck.

There is the obligatory dents directly underneath the chuck from carelessness, but for the most part the rest of the ways look decent to my untrained eye.

You can see the crazy gunk I had to clean off in the video.

Back