First "job" with new mini-lathe

standoff.jpg

White crap falling from the sky here, posta turn to rain later and make a REAL mess. Good day to putz around in the shop.

Decided to do a practice project on the lathe trying a few different basic operations. Don't have any actual use for the piece created. Drawing done on an ancient copy of AutoCAD 14 running on an old Windows XP machine I kept just for that purpose. I learned the basics of AutoCAD when working as an equipment installer for the Navy, doing "As Built" drawings.

The piece turned out okay and I learned a few things.

I missed the major diameter by .010 (under). Mostly my error, but I was shooting for .750 on a scrap piece of nominal round bar that started at .791 with the rust and scale on it. Too big to insert through the spindle so I chucked it up as square as I could but by the time I got it trued up it was undersize.

Also discovered that turning rust and scale off a work piece raises hob with carbide inserts. When I started turning the rest of it the finish was horrible. Thought about that for a bit, double-checked that the tool was centered properly and square with the work, no improvement. Turned the indexable bit to the next cutting surface and it cleaned right up. (Note to self: Get a stock of replacement inserts...)

Also got reminded that bed frame angle iron is HARD! Tried to cut a piece on my portaband a few days back, wasn't cutting, gave up and whacked it off with the chop saw. Went to cut off that cold-rolled round stock and the portaband wouldn't touch it. WTF? Changed blades and it went through it like a hot knife through butter. Just the 30 seconds or so I tried on that bed angle had ruined a brand new blade. (Note to self, part deux: Get some spare blades on hand, you just used your last one)

Drilled out the center of the piece and threaded it 1/4-20. Drilling the center of round stock on a lathe is a piece of cake, especially since I'd dimpled the end of it with a center drill to have a place to put the dead center on the tailstock. Tried tapping it with my trusty Crapsman tap and die set, tapped REAL hard. WTF? Rummaged around in my stash of random taps and found another 1/4-20 tap. Worked poifeck. (Note to self, part III: Check the rest of the commonly used taps and replace if needed.)

I'm using 1/4 inch tools that I ordered before the lathe arrived. That was a mistake. They are useable, but in order to get them under the set screws in the tool post, I have to space them out from the "wall" of the holder (for lack of a better term) and that makes it difficult to get them square with the work. Also, they need to be shimmed up to the center line, so there's two pieces I'm trying to keep in position while tightening the set screws. (Note to self, part 4: get some 5/16 tools)

bushing.jpg

All in all, I'd call it a success if for no other reason than that I learned a few things.
--

Back