[Newbie] First Home Shop Lathe/mill

Hello...I'm from southwestern Pa. (just a lil north of Washington, Pa.). I'm looking to add to my metal working arsenal. I started a few years ago with a mig welder (miller 211), then some oxy/acet torches (smith), followed by a small plasma cutter (hypertherm), and a mitering bandsaw (femi). the most recent addition was a 1950,s delta metal cutting vertical bandsaw (loved restoring it, and it cuts great). So, with that said, Im now looking to add either a lathe or milling machine. Ive been looking on craigslist and e-bay and getting more confused by the minute. Since the only real experience with either is high school metal shop (lathe) and that was a LONG time ago, so I need some experienced advice. This is a home shop not a production shop...so I won't be worried about speed or production time. I just want to be able to stretch my abilities when it come to fabrication with metal. I also work on cars (gear head from way back) so the ability to make some parts would be great.
So, which should I be looking for first (lathe/Mill) and what (type/size) is most appropriate for my situation?
I realize that there a lot of variables here but I'm just looking for some basic guidelines (from experience) when it comes to what to look for and what to avoid when buying these types of machines.
Thanks!
Terry

You have to decide how much room you have, what size items you wish to work on and what is your budget.

My advice is always the biggest you have room for, Unless of course you will only be making very small stuff.and the best you can afford, I would always look very closely at a Taiwan built machine before Chinese. If you can afford it get an American, British, Scandinavian , Japanese or German made machine. They are a lot dearer, but they are better, having said that Taiwan is pretty good.

Back