Firsrt steam engine, need help finding an Easy-Flo 45 supplier

Curtis

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

Been a member of Hobby-Machinist for a while, but I want to start my first engine project. It will be Kozo's 0-4-0 switcher and I am looking for a supplier of Easy-Flo 45 solder (the kind with Cadmium). I realize that there are other non-cadmium silver solders out there and I have experimented with some (Brownell's 355), but that stuff flows very poorly. I tried calling Lucas-Milhaupt but they sell to businesses, and the dealers they send you to are all HVAC companies that will not special order the Easy-Flo 45. They are just not interested. There is one jewelery supply company out there (SRA) that sells it, but they want $52.00 per ounce! When talking to Lucas Milhaupt rep he quoted a figure of $69.00 for three ounces. I realize retail markup is involved, but WOW, that is nearly Lucas' price for 3 times as much. Does anyone know of another online retailer that sells the Easy-Flo 45 for less? I don't know how much I would need for the whole project, but I want to get a feel for how far it goes and want to get this stuff before the EPA bans its production. Before anyone objects that it contains a poison, yes, I know, but I also know to take precautions . Any replies and information will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

I hear what you're saying. Normally not my first choice either.

I would avoid cadmium like the plague. There's a reason it should be banned, not only in use but in contact with it after the joint is finished. I would recommend experimenting with different alloys until you find one that has the flow qualities you are looking for.

I would avoid cadmium like the plague. There's a reason it should be banned, not only in use but in contact with it after the joint is finished. I would recommend experimenting with different alloys until you find one that has the flow qualities you are looking for.

Benjamin;

I have experimented with the non-cadmium alloy and the flow characteristics I want are not there. As far as the dangers involved are concerned, the government and industry concerns revolve around studies done on industrial workers who have been exposed to the fumes for many hours daily. I intend to have good ventilation as well as a mask with carbon filter while working on my project.
Also, after having now done a lot of web searching for this product, it seems that the suppliers who do handle it are all charging a high retail price for it (all in the 69 to 72 dollar per ounce range), so I suppose I am just going to have to live with that and order from SRA. At least it is still available in the US. Overseas the EU has banned it altogether.

Although Easy Flo 45 was widely used in the past, Cadmium bearing solders have been banned in many countries for a very good reason.
For alternatives, take a look at the Cup Alloys site for some really useful information on the different grades of silver solder and recommended usage. They also have a handy FAQ.
Although Cup are UK based, once you have decided on a solder, you should be able to obtain similar grades in the US.
However, for me in Canada, thanks to the iniquitous postal charges levied by the US postal services, it is actually cheaper and far faster to order from the UK.
Clive

Hello Bill;

That was the first website that I had investigated. I used their "find a reseller" feature and it gave a list of about 10 in my region. Two are no longer in business and the closest one to me is in Allentown PA, about 40 miles away. I tried calling them and was told that they do not do "special orders". I then tried calling the phone number listed at the Sil-Fos website which in reality is a phone number for Lucas-Milhaupt in Milwaukee. When I called the first time two weeks ago, a gentleman answered the phone and identified himself as a rep for Lucas. I told him what I was after and he referred me to a reseller ; "Praxair" and gave me a couple of local numbers to call. I tried that and both Praxair retailers seem to specialize in selling to the HVAC companies. No surprise there and they will not order this product for me. So I called the Milwaukee number again (Lucas) and this time got a lady who agreed to take my order. She took my name address, credit card number etc. and I was told the charge would be $69.00. Okay, so then I waited. A week later nothing- no charge is made against my credit card and no notification from UPS that a package is on the way. Strange, right? So I called the Milwaukee number again this week. No one there knows anything about it, but I am again referred to a "Praxair" company in my general area.
What it boils down to is that Lucas only sells in quantities of 10 ounces at a time and then to established account holders. I really ought to have expected that, but I was hopeful, what can I say? A few of the suppliers to the jewellery trade still carry it and that is about it.

Back