Firewood Processor

Phil, without pictures the winch never happened.
I've cut more dovetails than keyways with the shaper, but its been a while. Think I swung the clapper box to an angle between the two sides to let it clear. Guess the memory is the first thing to go.
IMGP1173.JPG

Greg

Pictures..............I wish, I built it in the 1970's, actually I may have one somwhere, but it will be a "hard copy"
Phil

The roller chain arrived today, with it in hand I could check my calculations for spacing between the shafts. Made up the tensioners and cut the beds to length.

IMG_1649.jpg

Picked up some bronze for the shaft bushings on the conveyer. I've heard of silver solder, with the price they're as they must be adding gold to bronze now

IMG_1651.jpg

Bored the bushings and made up the shafts today.

IMG_1653.jpg

Greg

Made a simple jig to hole the parts of the grousers together while welding.

IMG_1654.jpg

The same jig worked to hold them on the plasma table to cut its teeth.

IMG_1657.jpg

Assembled the side rails then as expected had to scrape the bronze bearings after bolting them up to the weldament.

IMG_1658.jpg

Greg

Those jaws look like they could chew a car in half.:)

Tackled the splitter next. Used a 3 inch bore cylinder, with a two stage pump it will generate 10 1/2 tons force. The 30 inch stroke will allow me to cut longer wood to suit the boiler.

IMG_1687.jpg

Next step is the chainsaw.

saw.jpe

This is the spindle that will drive the sprocket with the centre shaft. The middle mandrel will be mounted solid and the bar will pivot on the outer section.

IMG_1690.jpg
IMG_1695.jpg

All the lathe work is completed, still need to do some drilling and threading for the sprocket and bar mounts.

IMG_1697.jpg

Greg

Have the saw pretty much wrapped up.
This is the tensioner mechanism that the bar mounts to.
IMG_1706.jpg

With the bar in place.

IMG_1708.jpg

Bar clamp and sprocket mounted.

IMG_1730.jpg

Next step was the chain oiler.
It is hydraulically activated with the down force cylinder for the bar, the spring returns the piston when the hydraulic line is dumped to the tank.

IMG_1732.jpg

Assembled.

IMG_1731.jpg

Greg

Back