Fine feed on Index 55 questions

bodaver32

Active User
Registered
Hello,

New member, first time mill owner. I recently purchased an Index 55 and have begun to strip it down for a good cleaning, fresh paint and a tune up.

My question, the fine feed wheel spins with ease - but I don't see anything happening or moving. Any ideas?

I am sure this is first of many questions to come...

Many thanks,

Greg

There's probably a lever or knob you need to move to engage the fine feed wheel.

Have you gotten a manual for the 55?

Here's a link to a free download of the 1950 Index 55 manual if you haven't gotten it already.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=5411

- - - Updated - - -

Have you determined when your 55 was made?

If you've not and would like to know I can probably help with your serial number and my SN Reference book.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The table (X) and saddle (Y) and knee (Z) have hand wheels with gradiant disks which are anchored to the wheels (hand control) via set screws. There is also a quill control small wheel up top which can be engaged/disengaged to operate as a drill press, auto feed (belt driven) or with the clutch released with the lever same as a drill press.
You can call or email Wells-Index and they can tell you via the SN where and when your machine was sold/shipped. Also helpful for parts.

I think Bobf cleared it up for me. I was believing the handwheeel on the top was a fine feed wheel...

I just got the mill on Saturday and do not have it wired yet. I am going to go with a VFD.

The serial number is 5556.

I am working on the cleaning and painting.

After the holidays I will contact Index for the manuals and all new belts.

Senna--Mine is s/n 55-7508. Figured that made it a 1957, according to this. Is that correct?
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2280&tab=4

Yep, 1957.

Gotta love that vintagemachinery site huh?

- - - Updated - - -

I think Bobf cleared it up for me. I was believing the handwheeel on the top was a fine feed wheel...

I just got the mill on Saturday and do not have it wired yet. I am going to go with a VFD.

The serial number is 5556.

I am working on the cleaning and painting.

After the holidays I will contact Index for the manuals and all new belts.

Your 55 was made in 1954.

I too much prefer factory original manuals when they're available at non-extortion prices but if you just want to get an idea of what's in the manual the link I posted above is for the manual for the 55.

Ken, is the linked PDF manual the same as what I should expect from Index?

Ken, is the linked PDF manual the same as what I should expect from Index?

I would suspect so but it wouldn't surprise me in this day and age if the new manual is twice as thick with all the Warning, Danger, and other lawyer driven admonitions placed in manuals these days.

Back