Finally!!! The 1900 era Potter and Johnston 26in Shaper LIVES. Its useable!!

Cyclebuster

Registered
Registered
Took me like 5 years to do maybe 5 hours of work, but its fixed. Replaced the traversing shaft gearset a few yrs ago. put on a 5 hp motor last summer. 2 new belts this week. New lantern tool holder from casting, took about a year of hit and miss working on it. So, i oiled it up, threw some scrap in the vise, and plugged it in. Surprise!! smooth, quiet, and damn fun to use. took some fiddling, it was running backwards, wire swap. Stepping in cut stroke, simple adjustment. Set the stroke, and adjusted the height. did further carnage to a junk cylinder head Grabbed the first shaper ish tool bit i could find, and ran a pass. I used a 3/8 bit in my old lathe tool holder, as i dont have a 3/4 tool holder yet, and the final pass would work for most anything, i could get a real shiny finish with a larger bit, actually sharpened, but hey, i have a shaper. 2 days ago i had a project. This is a later model, mine is a converted line shaft with a 4 speed and an over center clutch.

Attachments

• 3552-A.jpg
    3552-A.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 35
More pictures Please!

Congratulations! That's a beautiful machine. There's something mesmerizing about watching them work.

GsT

Like to see how the auto down feed works(not working, but how it works).

Good job rescuing it!

Thanks, but if you ever take it apart please show the innards of the actual mechanism.

I have an Atlas 7b and none of the smaller shapers have that auto downfeed. I’ve only wished it had that a couple times. The demo you showed gave me a little clue.

Back