.Finally Pulled the Trigger on a Dapra Biax 7EL Scraper

Congrats! that is a great price if it is not TOO used; make sure you look at the brush wear and replace if they look like they need it.

VTY John

Thank You, John!
i figure if it's got some life left , i'll have some fun.
if not, i'll at least learn why/how they tick, and not make the same mistake!!!!:jester:

thanks for the suggestion about checking the brushes,
i'll be sure to give it the once over, twice !!!

all the best,
mike:))

Congratulations. Post a photo or two when it arrives. Remember that you can make your own carbide scraper blades if you have a torch with sufficient heat to do silver soldering. No need to spend $ on factory made blades. Your next task will be to make a sharpener. Diamond embedded lapidary lapping plates are available on ebay for around $14 each. You need to step down the speed on a home made grinder/lapper to around 300 rpm. You can make a fixed rest with a 5º angle using wood. The sharpener doesn't have to be fancy. A green carborundum grinding wheel won't provide an adequate finish on the scraper blades; it is only useful for rough shaping of the radius on the carbide. It's been a year since I took Rich King's scraping class in Pittston, PA around this time last year.

Congratulations. Post a photo or two when it arrives. Remember that you can make your own carbide scraper blades if you have a torch with sufficient heat to do silver soldering. No need to spend $ on factory made blades. Your next task will be to make a sharpener. Diamond embedded lapidary lapping plates are available on ebay for around $14 each. You need to step down the speed on a home made grinder/lapper to around 300 rpm. You can make a fixed rest with a 5º angle using wood. The sharpener doesn't have to be fancy. A green carborundum grinding wheel won't provide an adequate finish on the scraper blades; it is only useful for rough shaping of the radius on the carbide. It's been a year since I took Rich King's scraping class in Pittston, PA around this time last year.

Thanks RWL!!
Pictures will be posted upon arrival!!!!:ups:
i hadn't considered making a sharpener, until now!!!!!:thinking:
Great idea!!!!:rubbinghands:

It's been a year and a half since my last scraping class, i'm ready to get some scraping done!!!

thanks for the suggestions!!!
:man:

Nice find. I got a variable speed for myself (Biax). I look forward to seeing your take on variable speed(biax). I saw the magic smoke let out of one of those plugged into an old gizmo. (variac maybe?) I have no idea what the exact diagnosis was Doc, but it was enough to convince me not to try to play electrician on one of these. I'll leave that to you guys that know what you are doing and read about it later.:)) I look forward to seeing your scraping also.

Last edited:
Bob put one of those discs on the outside of a grinding wheel on a grizzly low speed grinder. It doesn't turn quite as fast as the Glendo, but looks like it would do perfectly with little cash outlay, or work. I plan on shamelessly stealing the good ideas and making a rest to fit for setting sharpening angles. I believe the grinders are even further reduced in price in the current xmas flier.

Thanks Leeq!!!

i have a spare DC motor and variable PWM controller that i'm considering for use as the powerplant.
i'll have to construct the gizmo but i think i could copy a couple ideas and produce a functional facsimile.
but thank you for the suggestion.
always good to hear from you!

Thanks Leeq!!!

i have a spare DC motor and variable PWM controller that i'm considering for use as the powerplant.
i'll have to construct the gizmo but i think i could copy a couple ideas and produce a functional facsimile.
but thank you for the suggestion.
always good to hear from you!

Would an old sewing machine provide good parts for that type of sharpener? In my first post I was talking biaxes and their speed control:)) I'm afraid I wasn't too clear there.

i was talking in reference to a 1/2 hp dc motor that i could use as the sharpener motor
sorry for the confusion, i should have added a few words and separated posts!!!
:footinmouth:

Sometimes what I type doesn't look like it sounds in my head:rofl: Would a sewing machine motor have enough juice to sharpen biax bits? I ask because I think I have a donor.

Sometimes what I type doesn't look like it sounds in my head:rofl: Would a sewing machine motor have enough juice to sharpen biax bits? I ask because I think I have a donor.

i'm not sure,:thinking:
there just might be enough juice there for powering a diamond wheel.

thank you very much for the offer, :thumbsup2:
but, i got motors and controls coming out of my ears

Back