Finally Ordered a PM-1236-PEP

I’m very close to your age. Here’s how I solved this “leveling while face-down on the floor” issue:

Make a stand with the lathe on a stiff C-channel and leveling adjustments at each corner of the C-channel mount. Watch the precision level while tweaking the adjustments and standing erect and on your feet. Make that chip tray removable for cleaning. Put easily accessible drawer storage under the lathe. Paint it nice colors. Etc.

I ended up buying a Shar's 8" level that had a calibration screw on the top. Calibration was done quickly and easily using this screw.

I leveled the lathe L-R with minimal up and down. Apparently it wasn't out that bad. It is still out front to back and I haven't attempted to mess with it. I'm currently enjoying using the lathe and it is producing things are well within any tolerances that I need (if I had tolerances). I'll get around to leveling it completely one day just not now. However, this level will make it much easier.

Hmm, interesting comments on depth of cut and removing material. I have a project requiring 1/4" 60° chamfering cuts in aluminum. I wonder how deep a cut I will be able to make? Terry - W6LMJ

Back