Finally got a metal cutting band saw!

RVJimD

Active User
Registered
I went and got one of the 4.5" horizontal/Vertical band saws today. Got it at Northern Tool. I think it is the same unit that everyone gets from HF. I happe with it! Everything in the shop is now a bit shorter! :applause:

I think I'm going to bolt it to the bench, which is on casters so I can pull it from the wall for use and push it back out of the way.

image.jpg

Hi Jim
Congratulations on the new saw. They sure are a handy tool for the shop. I have a Jet horizontal/vertical saw and one of the first items I built for it was a little bit larger work table that mounts on the current work table. I used a piece of 3/8 thick steel and figured out the largest size that would be practicable and welded it to the side of a piece (approx 3" long) of 3" U-channel and drilled the opposite side for 2 each 1/4-20" bolts which mount it onto the existing work table and a couple of wing-nuts let me put it on and remove it easily. It comes in very handy when I am cutting larger pieces.
NodakGary

You will never regret it, can't remember last time I used a hack saw.

Great purchase.
I'm jealous, I have been looking but have not found one I want, Or want to pay for, A couple I looked at I was not sure would hold up to cutting anything but small pieces of tin.
I may have to take a look at Northern as well.

Ken,

The one I have that came from Northern is the same saw you can get from HF. it is not a great saw but it works okay and is way better than the hacksaw and saws all I was using...

Jim

I just bought a refurbished one that was built in 1982. It works great. Nels has a sticky with a bunch of easy improvements you can make to the saw to help improve performance. The gentleman that refurbished my saw made many of the modifications that Nels shows. I am very happy with the saw.

HF Convincer: About three years I dug up a 30" section of a full size railroad track that was still in pretty good shape and a friend of mine mentioned that he was looking for one to make an anvil. To my amazement he was able to cut in half with his HF saw without any effort, so he gave me half and the blade is still being used with little wear.

Back