Finally Found One

mce5802

Active User
Registered
This came up for sale on a Facebook group in northern Wisconsin Saturday. It came out of a window factory according to the individual I got it from. It came with a vise with a swivel base and a phase converter and three power feeds which all have issues but hopefully I can make two good ones out of them. The ways look good. The main problem is there is a noise in the variable speed head. But for what I paid I can afford to do a little repair. It's a Comet brand, which might be the same as modern and other mills made in Taiwan in the 80's? Anybody know of a part supplier?

image.png image.png

Congrats on the mill. What is the HP rating on that one? Mike

I have a Mighty Comet 3kv. 3 hp unit. It's a nice mill. I haven't needed to purchase many parts for it but what I have, Bridge Port parts have been compatible. I have read else where on the net from owners that BP parts are interchangeable. You may want to contact some head rebuilding places which may have parts you need. Also search YouTube for rebuilding mill heads. There use to be some excellent posting there.

Congrats! I've been scouring craigslist recently in hopes of maybe falling into a nice knee mill for cheap.......good luck with your find.

It's a 3hp head. I think the model is a 2v. I've been watching craigslist for quite a while and waiting for a good deal. Missed out on a Bridgeport last fall for $800. I'd almost made up my mind to buy a mill drill from harbor freight with 25% off last weekend(or else enco with free shipping) and this one just happened to come up for sale. For $500. No I'm not kidding. Less than half of what the new mill drill would have been. For a lot more rigid machine. Even if I have to put $300-400 in the head I'm still better off.

Good to know about Bridgeport parts being compatible. Thanks. I did call HQT in Ohio they said the variable speed parts won't interchange, though most other parts do. But he gave me a number for a place in Michigan that's a comet dealer and they can get em. Do tonight I'll take it apart and see what I need, sounds like I'll most likely need the pulleys and maybe bearings.

Should be a good one with a little work, normally transported with head inverted 180. Ied have help straightening the head when bolts are loosened .
:grin big: My head would make noise too if it was bent like that:confused:

It looks alot like my wells index if your calling a place in Muskegon they are a wells index parts dealer. From talking to guys the VS is noisy on them the guy I bought mine from converted the VS to step pulleys of a Bridgeport.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Is the step pulley setup more trouble free? I spose it wouldn't be an easy conversion.

Came across that one for sale, did you get it for less then the $500 they wanted?

Back