Finally found a nice SB 9

Same thing I said when I got a lathe. Same with the drill press. Same with the plasma cutter. And the list goes on....
Probably will say the same if I am ever lucky enough to get a mill. :)
Found a lightly used LMS 3990 on CL w/ stand, lots of tooling for 1k. It's better than nothing....lol.
Just missed out on a Clausing 8530. Weight is the is limiting factor, as I have to get it in my basement otherwise I'd have a Bridgeport.
20220814_121755 (1).jpg

Oh, oh! Steady rest and collet draw bar.....
Me want same for 10K.
FYI, if you look on the bottom of the casting on the machined surface, you will see “SRD-100K” if the rest is for a 10K or “SRD-101N” if the rest is for a 9 inch.

Not sure if you want a taper attachment. If you are up for a nice project. I made one for my SB9. I used these plans.

Here are a few pictures of mine.
1a74e81f8cf9702e68abbc60be2c19c2.jpg

25cc68f00ddda51952e6a5778096bbc3.jpg

81a7b6c4739e6a96ee87cfab13b9f4b0.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Found a lightly used LMS 3990 on CL w/ stand, lots of tooling for 1k. It's better than nothing....lol.
Just missed out on a Clausing 8530. Weight is the is limiting factor, as I have to get it in my basement otherwise I'd have a Bridgeport.
View attachment 418097
A friend of mine gave me a LMS 3990 just like the one you have. It was not working because it had a burned out cutting motor and the controller board was damaged due to the cutting motor shorting out. It also was upgraded to CNC but did not have a computer to control it but it did come with the stepper controller board which was in good condition. I sent out the controller board to be fixed and that cost me $150.00 and the new cutting motor cost me about $300.00. I built a computer and loaded Mach 3 on it and I got it up and working!!!! Whoooo Hoooo. All together I have about $600.00 invested into it.

Attachments

• LMSMillingMachine.jpg
    LMSMillingMachine.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 9
A friend of mine gave me a LMS 3990 just like the one you have. It was not working because it had a burned out cutting motor and the controller board was damaged due to the cutting motor shorting out. It also was upgraded to CNC but did not have a computer to control it but it did come with the stepper controller board which was in good condition. I sent out the controller board to be fixed and that cost me $150.00 and the new cutting motor cost me about $300.00. I built a computer and loaded Mach 3 on it and I got it up and working!!!! Whoooo Hoooo. All together I have about $600.00 invested into it.
Nice...How can you go wrong for free.! Is Mach 3 a variation of G code? I use to program / run a couple Tree VMCs at an old job, made the universal fixture in pic for prototypes.

Last edited:
Nice...How can you go wrong for free.! Is Mach 3 a variation of G code? I use to program / run a couple Tree VMCs at an old job, made the universal fixture in pic for prototypes.
Mach 3 is an inexpensive software package that runs G code to make cuts, drill holes Etc. Here is a link to a youtube video that gives an overview of what the Mach 3 software can do. You can download the software for free and it will run a small number of lines of G code for free! For a licensed version it runs about $179.00.

Mach 3 for beginners

Last edited:
A rare find- with an original stand! that is fantastic!

Back