Finally finished my ball turner

Looks good Ed, I made one like that but it didn't work out for me. I hope yours works good.

Paul

Thanks Old Iron!
Managed to make a perfect little bead for my wife's bracelet we got her for Christmas and anodized it for her. Now she wants me to make a bunch of them and anodize them different colors. Just something else to have fun with.
I did turn some small pieces that everyone says looks like chess pieces but that was not my intention, I was just playin. I did find there was a whole learning curve to it and have a lot of technique refinements to do. I'll have to add some pics of what parts I make.

Have a great day!

Ed

I made one very similar also some time back. It worked so-so - I thought maybe it was over kill? I did have a carbide tip in it - plan on changing out to HSS next time I use it......yours look nice compared to my weld up project. :))

IMGP1581.JPG

IMGP1581.JPG

I have a broken off carbide end mill I sharpened up but I have HSS blanks coming to make some other bits. That carbide was just to hard to shape the way I wanted it and for the soft metals I work with the HSS will be fine.
Yours looks great also. I was worried mine would be to light or weak being made of aluminum but on the mini-lathe it will be fine.

Have a great day!

Ed

That is a nice tool, sure are a whole lot of different ways to make ball turners. I made one to mount to my cross slide a couple of months ago. You sure can learn a lot making simple tooling and you can always improve on the second one from what you learn on the first.

M.L. Woy

I made one like the op. I used crs and it works fine. I broched mine for 1/4" squire tools.

I would like to make a similar ball turner as per the above pics. Can you tell me what size ball this will turn. I am looking at a 3" ball from Aluminium bar stock. I am only turning half the ball. Do you have any plans , drawings of how to make your ball turner, Dimensions.

Great job. Well done.

Back