FINALLY COMPLETED SOUTH BEND 9A

Yeah, I was hoping that that was the "before" picture!
LOL
You should get your wiring covered up before you do any more turning.
For sure, wasnt going to turn anymore. I just wanted to test and make sure everything was running well, its been 2 years since ive seen it run so i thought, why not. I plan on adding a temp subpanel that will be generator powered. Will only be working directly from generator power.

Under the Y axis saddle its worn, should i scrape that plus the x axis?

Just going from the pictures of the ways and bevel gears in the knee, I'd say that mechanically, that machine looks cherry. Just a good clean up and adjustment, and start making chips. I'd leave the idea of scraping that machine well alone unless you are equipped and skilled to really evaluate the condition. You're likely to do more harm than good trying to learn as you go considering what you're starting with. If you really must scrape something, make yourself a nice straight edge. That way, the angels won't cry if it doesn't turn out like you thought it would.

Just going from the pictures of the ways and bevel gears in the knee, I'd say that mechanically, that machine looks cherry. Just a good clean up and adjustment, and start making chips. I'd leave the idea of scraping that machine well alone unless you are equipped and skilled to really evaluate the condition. You're likely to do more harm than good trying to learn as you go considering what you're starting with. If you really must scrape something, make yourself a nice straight edge. That way, the angels won't cry if it doesn't turn out like you thought it would.
definitely. Would never give it a first time scrape. Will be practicing on other steels once my scraper comes in. In the meantime. I ordered some brass nuts because it seems that the original Y axis was pretty worn. About 30 thousandths movement on the saddle, theyre not to pricey either. 35 bucks for those, not to bad. The x axis nuts were in much better condition, will split those and keep them on. Ordered a set of new x axis. Might just put the new x nuts on as well and just let them both wear together until i need to replace them again in a decade or so :D.

Just in case the leadscrew is worn, should i replace it? Those are around 200. This is only the Y axis. For some reason theres place in the saddle after everything is tightened up. So this has to be either the brass nut or the leadscrew.

You can easily assess lead screw wear by comparing the middle to the ends. Some wear may or may not be an issue, depending on how much of the travel you actually use in practice, but for $200 that's not bad while you have it apart. For me, it would depend on if, when the nuts are adjusted to satisfaction at the high wear point, whether they become too tight at the extreme ends to turn reasonably. If the difference is just slight, I'd let it ride. .015-.020 backlash at the dials in the center of the screw is perfectly good, and all new parts aren't going to get you any better than that.

Back