Final Rebuild for 2012

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
This is my final out project this year. Time to get back to my own builds. This is a Saito 1.8 2 cylinder 4 stroke. It came to me with a bent crankshaft and broken cam gear. Once opened the rods were bent also. I could not straighten the crank so a new one was made. Rebuildint it saved the owner a bundle. The cam gear and rods were off the shelf from Saito. It goes back to it's owner after a couple of hours run time this week. This is the type of work I do to keep busy after retirement.

"Billy G" :))

rebuild 001 (700 x 525).jpg rebuild 002 (700 x 525).jpg

This is my final out project this year. Time to get back to my own builds. This is a Saito 1.8 2 cylinder 4 stroke. It came to me with a bent crankshaft and broken cam gear. Once opened the rods were bent also. I could not straighten the crank so a new one was made. Rebuildint it saved the owner a bundle. The cam gear and rods were off the shelf from Saito. It goes back to it's owner after a couple of hours run time this week. This is the type of work I do to keep busy after retirement.

"Billy G" :))

How did the crank get bent, prop strike or misfire?

M

Misfire Mike. I was there when it happened. Misfired and then locked up. It was really minimal damage for a misfire.

"Billy G"

Nice job Bill. I gotta come by and pay you a visit one of these days.

Misfire Mike. I was there when it happened. Misfired and then locked up. It was really minimal damage for a misfire.

"Billy G"

Did you take any pics of the crank you made? I have to believe that parts for those engines are pretty expensive to buy.

M

No Mike, no pics time time. New crank for one like this probably runs close to 200. Made the new one from 4140. Have about 31 hours in the rebuild. Parts for these are getting scarce. Sometimes a part must be made because there is insufficient time to wait for a new part. I work on these engines from February till October 15. Next time I get one like this I will post the rebuild. Maybe a thread on straightening a crankshaft next time I get one.

"Billy G"

No Mike, no pics time time. New crank for one like this probably runs close to 200. Made the new one from 4140. Have about 31 hours in the rebuild. Parts for these are getting scarce. Sometimes a part must be made because there is insufficient time to wait for a new part. I work on these engines from February till October 15. Next time I get one like this I will post the rebuild. Maybe a thread on straightening a crankshaft next time I get one.

"Billy G"

I have to ask, why only Feb until Oct? Please do post pics and an article next time, small engines are just as interesting as big ones.
Finally, if you put 31 hrs into it and saved the guy a bundle you must either be working for minimum wage or it's a labour of love. :))

M

You can't put a price on happy. I do this mostly for the challenge. I think I made 60 bucks on this one. :lmao: I haven't figured it out yet. I do this because I can, I have the time and I like it.

For modellers around here Mike it's the building season. Come the middle of January the motor work begins.May is the toughy, contest season begins. Hard practicing takes it's toll.

"Billy G"

Can you explain why just a misfire made minimal damage, like a bent crank and rods? Seems a little much for a misfire. I am used to motorcycle/automotive engines so I wonder due to no experience in this size of engine.
Pierre

That's a toughy. The misfire was not really the culprit. Most of the damage happened when it locked up. I think it tried to reverse rotation just before the lock up. It was tacking close to 9K when it happened. The cam gear going could have had something to do worh it as well. If it were a "Boxer" it would have gone easier. Hope that helps?

"Billy G"

Back