file storage

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
So how do you store your files?
I have mine in a drawer with a wood batten running across the front bottom. This is notched to hold the files on their edge and stop them rattling together.
But the dust and humidity is giving me some grief.
What do others do? Are there any suggestions for me.

Cheers Phil

"Daily use" files go in a simple rack I made from some 14-gauge galvanized sheet:

filerack01.jpg

Lathe file hangs on wall behind lathe, in a tube filled with light oil:

lathefile01.jpg

Deburring files hang in a holder with other lathe tools - handy for use at lathe or mill:

chiptools03.jpg

Less-used files are in a drawer with simple dividers to keep them from banging around too much. I don't have a photo, but the drawer has about ten divisions, and there are 30-40 files in there (mostly skinny ones). Since that collection is always in flux, I don't worry too much about keeping them organized, and I'm reasonably gentle when I put them away. . .

While I try not to just toss them about or bang them together, I treat files as consumables like sandpaper. When they're sharp and new, they work well, but get a little wear and they're a pain. So, they get tossed into the recycle bin at work.

Granted, I rarely have any good files, chosing instead the cheap HF ones. Maybe if I spent more for them they would last longer, but it's easy to get a cheap set on sale, and discard the old ones.

Frank Ford link=topic=2808.msg19276#msg19276 date=1311173334 said:
"Daily use" files go in a simple rack I made from some 14-gauge galvanized sheet:

Frank,

Do I need a brake to bend the holders to the square shapes you have?

Also, how did you punch out the slots?

Thanks!

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a job I did at TechShop where they have some nice sheet metal tools. Could do it at home, but not as neatly and quickly, I suppose. I'd be clamping the steel and whacking with hammers. Here's the full deal on that rack:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/AtTechShop/FileRack/filerack.html

As to letting files clank against each other in a drawer, well, there's nothing that can ding or dull a file better than another file. . .

Back